Pensions Investment Research Analyst
The Pension Investment team reports to an Investment Committee that is responsibility for £8bn of assets for Centrica’s pension arrangements. The Investment Committee meets quarterly, and it is the job of the Pension Investment team to source suitable investment ideas for the Investment Committee to consider.
The hire will be brought in to advance the existing investment analytics within the in house team. A key area of evolution will be risk analysis for the pension scheme investments and the hire will take a major role in developing the usage of risk analysis within the asset structuring process. Over time, the hire will be responsible for determining the teams’ objectives on what it is trying to obtain from the various strands of numerical analysis undertaken. In time, we would also expect some transition into the research of different investment areas.
Success will be measured by the development of numerical analysis considerations and subsequent integration from those considerations into the asset allocation setting process.
We are seeking to hire a graduate, who is keen to take on a challenging investment role at a large prestigious pension fund. We would seek to support the hire’s investment development by sponsoring the CFA exam (costs of which need to be repaid if the hire leaves within 2 years of qualifying).
The major focus of the role will revolve around the improvement of existing numerical analysis for all investment considerations, focusing on the area of risk. The intention would be to grow into a wider research role over time. There are several aspects to the ongoing work required for this:
- Becoming the team’s lead person on the numerical analysis of investment risk
- Analytic support on the assessment on good/bad value for the agreed universe of possible investments for quarterly meetings
- Setting the structure for how asset return performance is measured and monitored, setting up quantitative models to support this framework
- Managing the reporting relationships with our existing asset managers
- Make written cases as to the reasons for making changes to established processes
There will be other responsibilities given the small nature of the team
- The numerical analysis behind the asset class research for numerous asset classes including those currently used and not used within the CCCIF
- The numerical analysis behind manager selection
- Ad-hoc projects identified by the Investment Committee
- Knowledge of the ongoing processes involved in the day to day management of the assets
- Project management of the entire team’s workflow to ensure that the hire can gather as wide a range of investment experiences as quickly as possible
Due to the project style nature of work, annual objectives will be set for known projects over the year plus ongoing responsibilities. The hire will exceed expectations by delivering a high standard of work, while showing initiative and an ability to generate their own ideas. This must all be done within a framework of ensuring that they work well with the team.
Good Excel and mathematical skills required
In order to apply you must already have, or be expecting to achieve a minimum 2:1 undergraduate degree, or a 2:2 combined with a post graduate degree, in a numerate discipline, such as maths, physics, statistics, applied economics, chemistry, or engineering.
Centrica plc, a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica's vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximise value to shareholders. Centrica's brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button,
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email firstname.lastname@example.org typing Pensions Investment Research Analyst R9923758 in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.