Rathbone Place, London
Salary; Competitive+ bonus & excellent benefits
We’re developing solutions for controlling and integrating everything in the home. We're looking to connect heating, smart plugs, light bulbs, sensors and more.
In the Identity Team, you will be working on the globally distributed authentication system that runs Connected Home. You will be working on building, deploying and running the system and managing the end to end delivery in a highly available manner.
On a day to day basis, among other things you will:
- Work in an agile environment with a dynamic and highly skilled team
- Add new features and resolve bugs.
- Write and maintain a suite of automated tests that ensure the robustness of our system
In the longer term, you’ll be:
- Involved in making the architectural decisions that ensure that we develop the right solutions
- Given the opportunity to conduct research into new product areas
To be brilliant in this role:
We are looking for an experienced object-oriented developer who wants to work in home automation. Not only do you have a passion for software development and a solid sense of quality and polish, but as an engineer you demonstrate a genuine interest in understanding the problem domain, in developing a robust user experience and in working with a diverse team of specialists to deliver a flagship consumer product.
You should be;
- Very experienced with an object orientated language, design patterns, and multi-threaded development, and comfortable working on Unix-like systems
- A team player who likes to discuss solutions and ideas
- Motivated by challenges and new opportunities
- Able to architect and design flexible and reusable components, features and systems
It will help if you have
- Commercial experience with Java SE and Java build tools such as Maven and Gradle
- Commercial experience with Git or other DVCSs
- Commercial experience with Linux environments
- Commercial experience with test frameworks at different levels of integration
- Experience of working in an agile environment
- Experience in designing robust, highly scalable systems
- A solid understanding of the TCP IP networking stack
- Experience in any of the following technologies: AWS, Wavefront, Redis, Ruby, Mysql, Puppet, Oauth, Cucumber.
We’re the team behind Hive Active Heating. Set up by British Gas in 2012, we were given a simple mission: to make the connected home a reality for everyone. We’re here to give you more control over their lives and homes and we’re passionate about providing technology products and services that let our customers control and connect with their homes wherever they are. We launched our brand Hive, by British Gas in September 2013 along with our first product Hive Active Heating which lets you control your heating and hot water from your mobile, tablet or laptop. We’ve also launched MyEnergy, a product that provides customers with helpful insight into their energy consumption.
Now, less than 4 years later, we’re really proud of how far we’ve come. With over 500,000 customers Hive is UK’s No.1 connected thermostat, and with our range of products and innovations we continue to go from strength to strength.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email firstname.lastname@example.org typing Software Developer R9919317 in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.