Sr. Natural Gas Scheduler - Calgary
Direct Energy generates electricity and produces natural gas, as well as selling commodities and servicing the energy needs of homes and businesses in 46 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 Canadian provinces. We also help our customers save on their energy bills through energy efficiency. Located in over 50 locations, our team of 6,000+ employees serve over 6 million residential and commercial customer relationships.
Direct Energy is a subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE:CNA), one of the world's leading integrated energy companies with over 20 million customers and 34,000 employees worldwide. We are committed to being the most recommended energy and services provider and leading the transition to a low carbon society.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Knowledge of gas markets gas in Western Canada, Pac Northwest and California
• 5 years minimum natural gas trading experience including:
- Knowledge of physical flows and locational trading is required.
- Management of storage assets across this region.
- Knowledge of Western Canada, Pac Northwest and California transportation grid. Managing and flowing gas transportation contracts
- Working with utilities, gas producers, and C&I markets
• Superior problem solving and analysis skills
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Resourcefulness and ability to work with limited supervision
• Flexibility and ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines
The Sr. Natural Gas Scheduler is a member of the NAB West Gas Optimization Team located in Calgary, Alberta. This role will be responsible scheduling of multiple pipes across Western Canada, Pac Northwest and California markets. This role will report to a senior member of the optimization team. The role will oversee gas operations, etrm balancing, pipeline monitoring, cash trading and third party relationships in conjunction with trading, origination and sales supporting both wholesale and retail markets from British Columbia to California.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Primarily role responsibility is daily nomination, scheduling and confirmation of volumes on 5 main pipes across the region – specifically Westcoast, Alliance, GTN, PGE and Socal. Along with Fortis, NWP, and Northern Border.
- Work with the regional traders to create and execute capacity optimizations while meeting retail and wholesale demands
- Effectively manage retail supply and load swing and the associated imbalance risk.
- Develop and maintain relationships with storage, pipelines, customers and trade partners, in order to optimize our customer load, transport and storage.
- Obtain assets when opportunities exist.
- Support C&I and retail sales teams.
- Have a thorough understanding of the operation and commercial aspects of the tariff for the pipeline(s).
- Monitor EBB(’s) for notices and capacity releases daily and rate changes.
- Balance all pipeline(s) in internal system to meet nat gas accounting billing requirements and internal controls.
- P&L reporting and reconciliation responsibilities
- Ensure consistent risk management practices and processes are implemented across regions
- Observe all DE policies
- Develop commercial skills & behaviors and exhibit DE core values and behaviors
- Weekend on call rotation
Skills and Competencies:
- Personal Management Skills – Demonstrate self-confidence and interpersonal flexibility, initiative, innovation, perseverance and integrity. Proven track record of successful execution.
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills – Able to proactively influence people and events, ensure effective internal and external communication, communicate effectively with individuals and groups in written and verbal forms and to speak confidently in public.
- Team Player – Blends well with immediate team members as well as stakeholders across the company. Treats people with courtesy and respect. Engaged in discussions and willingness to challenge respectfully. Takes pride and responsibility in your job and success of our team.
- Multitasking - Ability to trade, manage storage and pipes, as well as seek out new opportunities across multiple regions in a short time span on a daily basis.
- Technical Skills – Excel and database management, analytical, trade execution.
- Decision making skills - Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment.
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability