Business Development Manager
Direct Energy generates electricity and produces natural gas, as well as selling commodities and servicing the energy needs of homes and businesses in 46 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 Canadian provinces. We also help our customers save on their energy bills through energy efficiency. Located in over 50 locations, our team of 6,000+ employees serve over 6 million residential and commercial customer relationships.
Direct Energy is a subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE:CNA), one of the world's leading integrated energy companies with over 20 million customers and 34,000 employees worldwide. We are committed to being the most recommended energy and services provider and leading the transition to a low carbon society.
- Strong desire to succeed
- Ideal candidate will have an established network of large commercial or industrial accounts in the electric utility or natural gas industry and will reside within the area.
- Must possess prior experience selling consultative services with a great understanding of doing needs analysis.
- Must have a successful track record of selling and closing contracts - candidates will be required to demonstrate prior skills.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in direct / outside sales and marketing consultative selling in the gas or power segments.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Strong computer skills, including establishing rapport with clients through regular contact by phone and in person.
- Must have excellent product and customer knowledge to educate customers on pricing and application of competitive advantages to meet or exceed customer needs.
- Positive professional demeanor and appearance to act as a positive representative of the company in front of clients and in the local business community, as needed.
- Ideal Candidate will possess a Bachelor's degree in business, marketing, management, or related field.
- Strong interpersonal communication, and negotiating skills to ensure issues are identified early and feasible solutions are developed on a timely basis.
- Ability to work and contribute as an effective team player in a fast paced sales environment.
- Ability to adapt to changing industry demands and internal and external factors.
- Strong negotiating and closing skills.
- Problem solver, offering practical thinking and approaches when applicable, providing sound analysis and judgment when making decisions and/or recommendations.
- Ability to work independently and without direct supervision.
- Detail oriented with strong organization and follow-through skills.
- Must be self directed and able to learn business and new products quickly.
The primary objectives for this role are to initiate and qualify new prospects, make sales calls/visits, sell gas and/or electricity products and services, and to maintain strong business relationships with customers identified and assigned in each designated sales territory. This individual will be responsible for the development of a territory in the commercial and industrial market segment.
- Delivery of agreed sales targets in terms of overall net margin under contract, customer numbers, and energy volumes in the commercial and industrial market segments.
- Establish a large network of commercial and industrial accounts within a particular territory.
- Manage multiple accounts of established and potential customers.
- Create and execute market sales activity, focused on identifying cost savings or value-generated opportunities.
- Develop territory specific sales strategies directed toward maximizing company objectives and goals.
- Create new business through organized prospecting and networking to increase Direct Energy market penetration.
- Identify and qualify prospects, create effective presentations, obtain needed usage information to generate proposals, prepare proposals, negotiate and close deals within an acceptable time frame, obtain authorization on contracts, exhibits, and other required documentation, and act as a liaison between operations and customers as needed.
- Meet defined sales/financial goals and objectives assigned to each region and overall business unit.
- Support the internal service delivery systems by working cooperatively and effectively with all members of the service delivery team.
- Provide all information needed to ensure completion of all necessary customer agreements.
- Remain current on the competition and market conditions.
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability