User Researcher (Customer Insight)
User Researcher (Customer Insight)
Salary; £55,000 - £65,000
(Depending on experience may have flex on base salary) + Excellent Benefits & Bonus
Location; Rathbone Place, London
We’re looking for a User Researcher that will undertake activities to ensure products are created with user requirements right at the heart. During an engagement you will work as part of a multi-disciplinary project team following direction, guidance and approach set by the Head of Experience Design and the Head of Product.
Your work will generate the feedback and insight digital delivery teams need to build a clear picture of their users and deliver solutions that they need. You’ll support stakeholders by generating new and useful user insights and translating it into features and actions that will allow them to improve their digital service for users.
You should be experienced in using a variety of user testing methodologies to reveal actionable customer insights. You will have excellent analytical and problem solving skills, and the ability to quickly develop recommendations based on quantitative and qualitative evidence. In addition, you will need to be confident in explaining user needs to senior clients and stakeholders, and for acting as a persuasive advocate for those needs both within the team and the client at large. You will also be comfortable working with data, from gathering and analysis through to design and presentation
What will you be up to;
- You’ll plan, design and conduct in-house usability testing sessions to support the design and development of our products and services
- Leading the usability testing process from developing user recruitment briefs through to test moderation, analysis and report writing
- Conduct in-house research to test new product and concept developments (including user requirements gathering and early stage concept and prototype testing, guerrilla research, and other approaches to ensuring the user need is fully understood in the service design)
- Work with the Product Team to devise research strategies to generate focused insights and to convert concepts into high quality stimulus material
- Work closely with designers and developers to turn user data into actionable product/service requirements that feed into prototype development, and influence product direction. Which will include design, script and analyse ad-hoc quantitative surveys
- Support ad-hoc qualitative/quantitative research projects such as proposition development, customer experience mapping and product scope
- Applying knowledge in human factors, ethnography, and the user-centred design process to product and service design in an iterative development environment
- Present findings and related design/business recommendations and customer insights to senior decision makers
- Manage day-to-day operations with a range of usability and market research agencies with accountability for schedules, value for money and deliverables
- Promote user centred design principles and best practice
- Up-skill and impart knowledge onto other members of the team to ensure user research is embedded into everything we do
To be brilliant in this role you will have/be;
(Essential Skills & Capability);
This role will involve extensive interaction with customers, senior stakeholders, management and third party sub-contractors. Strong analytical, organisational, and presentation skills are essential combined with excellent interpersonal and communication skills in order to manage expectations and issues effectively and establish/maintain a high level of customer trust and confidence
- Experience of working in implementing complex enterprise-level projects in an agile development environment with User Experience teams, designers and developers to create new digital products and services
- Proven experience of gathering user requirements for application based services in platforms such as iOS, Android and Web
- Proven experience of managing, executing and analysing usability test sessions
- Experience of audience modelling and developing design personas
- Strong interpersonal skills including mentoring, coaching, collaborating, and team building and support the designers as they go through the design sprints and rounds of iterations
- Strong analytical, planning, and organizational skills with an ability to manage competing demands
- Strong knowledge and understanding of business needs with the ability to establish/maintain high level of customer trust and confidence
- Desirable Skills & Capability
- Degree in HCI/Usability/Cognitive Psychology/Market Research or related field
- Experience across mobile & web content, tools and transactional services, especially those with complex user journeys
- Ability to support a progressive methodology to quality improvement
- Systems understanding – ability to reason about the system being built, what it is for and where its weak points could be
Additional Website Text
We’re the team behind Hive Active Heating. Set up by British Gas in 2012, we were given a simple mission: to make the connected home a reality for everyone. We’re here to give you more control over their lives and homes and we’re passionate about providing technology products and services that let our customers control and connect with their homes wherever they are. We launched our brand Hive, by British Gas in September 2013 along with our first product Hive Active Heating which lets you control your heating and hot water from your mobile, tablet or laptop. We’ve also launched MyEnergy, a product that provides customers with helpful insight into their energy consumption.
Now, less than 4 years later, we’re really proud of how far we’ve come. With over 500,000 customers Hive is UK’s No.1 connected thermostat, and with our range of products and innovations we continue to go from strength to strength.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email firstname.lastname@example.org typing User Researcher (Customer Insight) R9920637 in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.