To lead, inspire and engage a team of Engineers in safely delivering industry leading customer service to increase the profitability of the business, remaining committed to treating customers fairly.
- Instil a customer focussed culture and a right first time approach, coaching and developing the team to maximise opportunities and value to the business.
- Motivate and engage the team to deliver against operational targets and business strategy whilst working towards continuous improvement.
- Set appropriate targets, manage performance, provide ongoing feedback and address training and development needs.
- Provide technical support and carry out formal and informal coaching activity, focusing on all aspects of the engineer role including behaviours and values.
- Carry out safety, quality control and productivity assessments to ensure that that all work complies with current codes of practice, standards and legislation, particularly, Health and Safety, to ensure the wellbeing of employees, customers and their premises.
- Make commercially astute decisions and negotiate with customers to resolve queries and complaints quickly and without the need for further escalation.
- Help with the generation of additional income for the business, whilst controlling costs. This includes managing labour costs, productivity and attendance to improve the operations’ efficiency and effectiveness.
- Drive solutions that reduce customer complaints, protect brand reputation and improve process efficiencies in order to increase customer retention and loyalty and to maximise sales opportunities.
- Execute strategies to improve the teams’ Net Promoter scores, Customer Satisfaction Survey and employee engagement results.
- Ensure the team is kept up to date regarding safety matters, quality of service, individual, team and business performance, and other company developments so that all engineers can perform their work to the required standard and output levels.
- Manage operational and regulatory risks, escalating as appropriate.
- Ensure customer related information systems are operated to the required standard to maintain accurate and secure records.
- Ensure the team understand and adhere to the company and department standards, policies and procedures.
- Adhere to the Competence and Training framework policy and procedures to ensure each team member attains and maintains the required competency level to perform their role and, in particular, to promote a culture where customers are treated fairly and are properly informed.
- Apply British Gas values in all day to day activities.
- Safety – Understand the health, safety, environmental & associated legal requirements that are relevant to the work and ensure the team complies with these. Help the team to understand and actively promote issues regarding health, safety & the environment.
- Conduct HS&E checks on engineers and contractors.
- Dimensions of Role – Type of Role: Managerial
- Strategic Dimensions: implementation/tactical
- People Management: Direct reports: multi-discipline field based engineers (L8). Deputise for the Manager in short periods of absence.
- Working Relationships – Team members to engage, support and motivate in order to achieve business results.
- Effective networking with other Managers and operational teams within the peer group, support services, contractors and suppliers to resolve issues, share best practice, measure the performance of the business and implement solutions to improve overall service levels.
- Engineer Academy team to address training and development needs.
- Safety Assurance Engineers/Manager to promote a Health and Safety culture.
- HSE and Gas Safe Register where necessary.
- Knowledge and Qualifications – Technically competent.
- ACS accreditation or similar.
- Thorough understanding of what delivers great customer service.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of good safety practice and duty of care requirements.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of business and operations’ key performance indicators.
- Aware of the commercial aims and objectives of British Gas.
- Management of a customer service operation.
- Understand the British Gas complaints escalation and resolution process.
- Understand good housekeeping for data protection and information security requirements.
- Commercial Know-How: Managing for value, Understanding Centrica, Understanding our Customers.
- Essential Skills – Management of high performing field based teams.
- Confidence and creditability with the ability to effectively communicate information and knowledge assertively, whilst demonstrating empathy with customers and colleagues.
- Developed communications to drive behavioural and performance improvement.
- Impact and influencing skills.
- Effective decision making that will deliver business goals such as safety, productivity, quality, cost control, business growth, and service delivery.
- Ability to prioritise deliverables and plan accordingly.
- Ability to manage change and capacity to work flexibly.
- Key Leadership Behaviours – Our Leadership Behaviours describe the high standards we should expect of ourselves and colleagues at British Gas. These behaviours are a key part of how we deliver successfully in our roles.
- This role is at the level of ‘Leader of People’, which is about helping others work and deliver effectively and successfully
British Gas, part of the Centrica Group, supplies gas and electricity to UK residential and business customers, provides central heating and gas appliance installation and maintenance and low-carbon and energy efficient products and services.PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button,
Agencies: This role is being handled by the Centrica recruitment team, NO agency contact is required. British Gas operates a preferred supplier list and when required will source candidates through these agencies.