Manager, Public Relations
Direct Energy is a leading energy and energy-related services provider with nearly five million residential and commercial customers in North America. Direct Energy provides customers with choice and support in managing their energy costs through a portfolio of innovative products and services. A subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE: CNA), one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies, Direct Energy operates in 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 provinces in Canada. To learn more about Direct Energy, please visit www.directenergy.com.
Based at Direct Energy’s North American headquarters in Houston, Texas, the Manager, Public Relations, delivers on Direct Energy's story of growth, value and innovation, through the Company’s commitment to using our energy expertise to make a difference in people's lives. Reporting to the Vice President, External Affairs, the Manager is responsible for creating and delivering a strategic communications plan largely focused on supporting the Northeast region of Direct Energy’s footprint, including our Home and Business divisions. The external communications plan includes overall planning and execution of a media relations program, external stakeholder engagement, community investment strategy support, and corporate narrative support and visibility. In addition, the Manager will serve as the primary liaison to the North American Business and North America Distributed Energy & Power teams. The manager is responsible for effectively telling our story to customers, media, legislators and key consumer and industry publics. The role will also support day-to-day issues management; proactive and reactive media relations.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or public policy
- Strong media relations and proven skills as a company spokesperson for both proactive and reactive stories with 5+ years’ experience working in a customer and people focused business; background in public policy communications, news media, or government and regulatory affairs is helpful
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal; ability to write, edit and proofread to professional standard
- Ability to interact with and confidently counsel senior executives
- Experienced team leader with proven ability to plan and deliver successful communications and public relations strategies
- Ability to prepare a wide variety of media and presentation materials, including video production, to support key message development
- Experience handling consumer issues (as it relates to media coverage)
- Ability to translate technical and/or complex information into media- and consumer-friendly key messages tailored for specific audiences
- Ability to quickly grasp business/industry issues and work on tight deadlines
- Strong agency-management as well as budget-management and tracking skills
- Ability to work in both English and Spanish is an asset
- Ability to travel 25 percent of the time
- Serve as Direct Energy’s first point of contact and spokesperson on proactive and reactive media matters and crisis communications; Manage issues to protect and enhance the company’s reputation; work closely with the business to lead communications in response to media regarding all issues related to the Company, its customer service and/or policies/processes.
- Lead media and promotional activities geared to increase positive brand awareness for Direct Energy and its family of brands. Develop and coordinate existing and new programs, initiatives, and national seasonal campaigns, and plan, develop, and implement effective multi-media communications plans and external outreach strategies to deliver strategic, performance-based results.
- Focus on proactive external outreach and relationship building with major media and stakeholders in key markets to support the positive development of Direct Energy’s family of brands and reputation; supporting key functions including marketing communications, government and regulatory affairs.
- Understand the company, its products, services, and business direction by initiating and cultivating collaborative working relationships with the management and leadership across the organization.
- Coach, advise, and train leaders, spokespersons, and employees on media relations guidelines and best practices; council the leadership and management teams, providing sound advice on issues, events, strategy and planning.
- Develop news releases, write internal and external presentations, prepare messaging, fact sheets, Q&A, opinion editorials, videos, and assist with coordination of social media strategies to increase online brand awareness and visibility. Contribute to growth of followers on Twitter, Facebook and company blogs.
- Collaborate with internal communications contacts to leverage messages to the Direct Energy employee base.
- Keep communications simple, friendly and direct to reflect the Company’s values.
- Support Direct Energy’s Community Investment strategy and related programs.
- Manage public relations and external agency support to develop and deliver the strategy.
- Effectively manage budgets for specifics projects.
- Represent the company or business unit in external forums.
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability