We have an exciting opportunity for a Category Assistant to join our fast paced, award winning Procurement team. This is an ideal opportunity for a graduate, who is commercially minded, understands the impact of creating value within the business from getting the most out of supplier relationships and looking to kick start their career within a FTSE 100 organisation.
The Procurement team faces a number of challenges within the market place, as a Global Category Assistant you will be working closely to support other members of the Procurement team across a number of areas to ensure an appropriate level of analysis and process management is delivered.
- Location: Staines / Leicester
- Travel will be required
- Excellent package value and benefits (depending on experience)
We are setting ourselves up for success by bringing together 7 disparate international teams and uniting them with a global framework yet maintaining that all important local delivery. Our internal team is already award-winning, which is owed to a relentless focus on the development of our people, and we are looking to extend this by finding experienced talent outside of our business who can bring their knowledge of category management, working across cultures and delivering innovation through procurement. In return, we can offer some amazing opportunities to enable you to develop your potential and fast-track your career.
End-to-end Category Management
- Undertake (in conjunction with and or with the agreement of the appropriate Category Manager) category analysis and assessments. This will allow the procurement team to generate innovative opportunities and robust strategic sourcing plans. Ensures value is maximised from the contract negotiation through the whole life cycle of the category
- Working alongside Category Managers and key internal stakeholders, manage procurement activity across expenditure categories. This includes the maintenance and implementation of category plans that will ensure delivery in line with business objectives, regulatory requirements and the landing of all value negotiated
- Support the management of supplier sourcing activities including running sourcing activities where required
- Provide support and reporting for Supplier Management activities including measuring and reporting supplier performance
External Market Expertise:
- Provide analysis and insight for the procurement team and business on all aspects of market dynamics, regulatory frameworks, suppliers and technical innovations
- Keep abreast of changes and developments within the relevant market place and changes to supplier commercial positions or offerings
- Report changes and updates through proactive governance
- Support analysis for other Procurement colleagues as required
- Source and procure a range of goods and services across one or more expenditure categories ensuring optimum value for money within defined service and quality criteria
Centrica is a fantastic organisation to join and grow with. In Procurement alone we are working on developing oil wells in the North Sea, sourcing air-conditioning units, outsourcing business processes, developing novel technology platforms for the connected homes of the future and working creatively on campaigns to market well-known brands like British Gas. We are also keen on developing our top talent through international assignments to ensure we have the right pipeline of talent to continue to stretch ourselves as we mature even further.
To succeed in our team you will need to demonstrate the following:
- Degree educated or equivalent and/or appropriate experience in work experience
- Ideally will be working towards/ have membership of CIPS (or equivalent) but this is not essential
- Ability to influence stakeholders and manage conflicting views
- Confidence and credibility with good communication and stakeholder management skills
- Influencing, persuading and negotiating skills. Ability to present ideas/concepts and take a consultative approach with stakeholders and peers
- Team player with an ability to manage relationships
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to identify and expeditiously exploit commercial opportunities. Advanced skill using MS Office including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to meet deadlines/deliver on promises
- Pro-active, flexible, resilient, motivated and results oriented
- Excellent influencing, communication and relationship management skills.
- Ambitious with a desire to succeed
- Proven analytical skills including ability to gather, interpret complex data, summarise and communicate simply and effectively
- Imaginative and creative
- Basic understanding of general and contract law
Centrica plc, a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica's vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximise value to shareholders. Centrica's brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email firstname.lastname@example.org typing ‘Update required: Category Assistant R9914119’ in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.