Production Functional Test Engineer
Production Functional Test Engineer
Cambridge Office, Station Road, Cambridge, with occasional travel to Leicester and London
Salary; Competitive + Bonus & excellent benefits
What will you be doing?
The role sits inside the Devices team, and reports to The Head of Hardware and Manufacturing.
The Devices team is an enthusiastic team of programme managers, technologists and engineers responsible for the specification, development, evaluation, testing, trialling and deployment of Hive connected home devices. We are looking for a Production Functional Test Engineer to ensure that all the products we bring to market, both in-house-developed and sourced from third parties, are adequately functionally tested during the manufacturing process, to ensure that they maintain the required levels of operation and performance during their designed lifetime. This is a great opportunity to participate in the development of technology products for a high profile consumer electronics brand, and the start-up culture promoted within Connected Home provides a perfect environment for enthusiastic team players with the ambition to develop their skills.
Key activities for this role include:
- Work with Product Managers and Design Engineers to assist in defining product specifications, and then translate them into test specifications – This includes negotiating appropriate test limits for the various agreed tests
- Work with 3rd party suppliers to design and implement programming and test solutions best suited to their manufacturing and test capabilities, whilst ensuring maximum test coverage is maintained
- Ensure factory test coverage of product functionality is cost effective, proportional to the requirements of the product, and scalable as build volumes increase
- Assist in design and delivery of prototype programming and test solutions that can be used to verify and validate prototype products in-house, as well as supporting RMA activities
- Ensure any test records created during factory test process are collated, stored, and interpreted to ensure coverage of test remains acceptable, and that possible improvements are introduced as identified – This includes maintaining a register of agreed test limits for each product’s tests
- Provide onsite support at 3rd party premises to witness and supervise implementation of testing solutions on an as-required basis (may require occasional international travel)
What experience are we looking for in our ideal candidate?
- A degree or similar in an Electronics/Test/Software engineering related discipline, backed up by suitable industry experience
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of specifying and designing test solutions for wireless consumer electronic products
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of implementing test systems and solutions into previous employer and/or 3rd party supplier premises
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of negotiating and setting appropriate test limits for products being tested
- Experience and knowledge of key testing technologies (ICT, JTAG, etc.)
- Basic familiarity with testing LPRF radio systems such as ZigBee, Z-Wave, BLE, WiFi
- Computer literate (spreadsheets, email, technical tools such as terminals)
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of specifying and designing test systems and solutions for wireless consumer electronic products in the same markets as Connected Home operate
- Knowledge and experience of setting up, interfacing with, and operating key test equipment such as spectrum analysers, signal generators, programmable power supplies, etc.
- Knowledge and experience of generating and implementing script based test environments, using tools such as Labview.
- Comfortable working with microprocessor-based products at the development stage, for the purposes of driving them when executing tests
- Advanced familiarity with testing LPRF radio systems such as ZigBee, Z-Wave, BLE, WiFi
What qualities are we looking for in our ideal candidate?
- An outgoing and enthusiastic team player, with the attitude and energy to deliver in a fast paced, start-up environment
- An entrepreneurial flair and a can-do attitude; in the connected homes category things change very quickly and we constantly strive to adapt to these changes
- A passion for doing what’s right for the customer
- Excellent written, verbal and computer skills
We’re the team behind Hive Active Heating. Set up by British Gas in 2012, we were given a simple mission: to make the connected home a reality for everyone. We’re here to give you more control over their lives and homes and we’re passionate about providing technology products and services that let our customers control and connect with their homes wherever they are.
We launched our brand Hive, by British Gas in September 2013 along with our first product Hive Active Heating which lets you control your heating and hot water from your mobile, tablet or laptop. We’ve also launched MyEnergy, a product that provides customers with helpful insight into their energy consumption.
Now, less than 2 years later, we’re really proud of how far we’ve come. With over 150,000 customers Hive is UK’s No.1 connected thermostat, and with our range of products and innovations we continue to go from strength to strength.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button. To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email email@example.com typing Production Functional Test Engineer R9922238 in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.