Component Engineer / Information Controller
Component Engineer / Information Controller
Salary; Competitive + bonus & excellent benefits
Location: Cambridge Office, Station Road, Cambridge, with occasional travel to Leicester and London.
The role sits inside the Devices team, and reports to the Head of Hardware and Manufacturing.
The Devices team is an enthusiastic team of programme managers, technologists and engineers responsible for the specification, development, evaluation, testing, trialling and deployment of Hive connected home devices. We are looking for a Component Engineer and Information Controller to support the bringing to market of both in-house-developed, and those sourced from third parties, products that form the hardware component of the Hive brand ecosystem. The role will also form an important addition to the team tasked with sustaining engineering work on existing products, by selecting alternative components and suppliers to futureproof in-life products. There is also a significant element of the role that will require the coordination and control of company data for products. This is a great opportunity to participate in the development of technology products for a high profile consumer electronics brand, and the start-up culture promoted within Connected Home provides a perfect environment for enthusiastic team players with the ambition to develop their skills.
Key activities for this role include:
- Work with Product Managers and Design Engineers to identify and understand the critical AVL non-open source parts that require second source options, and ensure designs can accommodate multiple sourcing solutions
- Select, test, and approve (in conjunction with design team) alternative source parts/suppliers for critical AVL non-open source parts (from an engineering perspective – Commercial suitability of options will be assessed and selected by the Supply Chain team)
- Work with design teams (electronic and mechanical) to ensure smooth transition of product information (BOMs etc.) from software packages into Connected Home PLM software. Where required, this includes assisting in constructing and maintaining suitable libraries of parts/components for designers to use
- Support the Supply Chain team on LTB and EOL component issues to manage the smooth transition to alternative components
- Support the Supply Chain team on value engineering and cost reduction projects as required
- Take responsibility for the management and day-to day housekeeping of the Connected Home PLM system, ensuring all current and new product developments are correctly entered, and that all manufacturing and support data (e.g. datasheets for components etc.) are held in the system
- Work with the Supply Chain team to ensure all released product data and BOMs (in-house and 3rd party supplier) are correctly controlled via the formal engineering change control process, and that confirmation of released change implementation has been received and acknowledged
- Assist the Supply Chain team to support work being undertaken by other business groups to determine component and supply chain risk (selection of alternative components, supplier risk etc.)
- Work with the Quality Manager to ensure that all relevant company documentation is correctly controlled and released via the Connected Home PLM system
- Assist the Quality Manager to log and control any part and device samples received by the Hardware and Manufacturing team
What experience are we looking for in our ideal candidate?
- A degree or similar in an relevant Electronics engineering discipline, backed up by suitable industry experience (PLM/documentation control training courses a bonus)
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of designing electronic products and/or specifying suitable components for electronic products
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of managing and co-ordinating component and part libraries used in electronics design CAD packages
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of electronic and physical data management, particularly of BOMs, datasheets, key documents, and change control
- Basic familiarity with Arena PLM software, or suitable equivalent
- Computer literate (spreadsheets, email, technical tools such as CAD software etc.)
- Extensive knowledge and experience of designing products and/or specifying components for wireless consumer electronic products in the same markets as Connected Home operate
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of using electronic CAD packages (e.g. PADs) and administering their respective component/part libraries
- Advanced familiarity with Arena PLM, and control and organisation of BOMs and product data
What qualities are we looking for in our ideal candidate?
- An outgoing and enthusiastic team player, with the attitude and energy to deliver in a fast paced, start-up environment
- An entrepreneurial flair and a can-do attitude; in the connected homes category things change very quickly and we constantly strive to adapt to these changes
- A passion for doing what’s right for the customer
- Excellent written, verbal and computer skills
We’re the team behind Hive Active Heating. Set up by British Gas in 2012, we were given a simple mission: to make the connected home a reality for everyone. We’re here to give you more control over their lives and homes and we’re passionate about providing technology products and services that let our customers control and connect with their homes wherever they are. We launched our brand Hive, by British Gas in September 2013 along with our first product Hive Active Heating which lets you control your heating and hot water from your mobile, tablet or laptop. We’ve also launched MyEnergy, a product that provides customers with helpful insight into their energy consumption.
Now, less than 4 years later, we’re really proud of how far we’ve come. With over 500,000 customers Hive is UK’s No.1 connected thermostat, and with our range of products and innovations we continue to go from strength to strength.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email firstname.lastname@example.org typing Component Engineer / Information Controller R9922237 in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.