Salary; Competitive + bonus & excellent benefits
Location: Cambridge Office, Station Road, Cambridge, with occasional travel to Leicester and London.
The role sits inside the Devices team, and reports to the Head of Hardware and Manufacturing.
The Devices team is an enthusiastic team of programme managers, technologists and engineers responsible for the specification, development, evaluation, testing, trialling and deployment of Hive connected home devices. We are looking for a Mechanical Engineer to support the bringing to market of both in-house-developed, and those sourced from third parties, products that form the hardware component of the Hive brand ecosystem.
The role will also form an important addition to the team tasked with sustaining engineering work on existing products. This is a great opportunity to participate in the development of technology products for a high profile consumer electronics brand, and the start-up culture promoted within Connected Home provides a perfect environment for enthusiastic team players with the ambition to develop their skills.
Key activities for this role include:
- Work with Product Managers and Design Engineers to identify and understand the mechanical design and packaging requirements of new and existing products, with material choice constraints taken into consideration
- Participate in selection of suitable outsource industrial design assets to deliver mechanical and packaging requirements of projects
- Oversee and support on day-to-day basis, the key tasks assigned to outsource industrial design partners, as well as undertaking support work on drawing/modelling changes, ensuring they are consistent with agreed specifications and requirements (this may involve some national, and possibly international, travel)
- Participate in selection of suitable tooling and mechanical component suppliers to deliver the requirements of the projects, in conjunction with the Supply Chain Manager and their team
- Manage the production and/or sourcing of mechanical and packaging prototypes and samples as and when required
- Work with the Supply Chain team to ensure product data and BOMs are correctly archived and controlled within the Connected Home PLM system
- Work with the Quality Manager to ensure mechanical and packaging designs meet quality, reliability, approvals, and cosmetic standards as per defined specifications
- Work with the sustaining engineering team members to undertake product mechanical and packaging redesigns, or changes to reduce cost and/or address reported product issues
- Work with Test Engineer to design and develop test fixtures for programming and testing of products
What experience are we looking for in our ideal candidate?
- A degree or similar in an relevant Engineering discipline, backed up by suitable industry qualifications and experience (i.e. SolidWorks training courses)
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of designing and delivering mechanical enclosures and packaging for electronic products
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of managing and co-ordinating outsource industrial design partners
- Fluent user of SolidWorks CAD software, preferably backed with training certificates
- Experience and knowledge of DFx techniques (Design for Reliability, Design for Assembly, Design for Test, and Design for Repair are key techniques)
- Basic familiarity with key mechanical manufacturing processes, such as plastic injection moulding, metal stamping/forming, CNC turning/milling etc.
- Computer literate (spreadsheets, email, technical tools such as CAD software etc.)
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of designing and delivering mechanical enclosures and packaging for wireless consumer electronic products in the same markets as Connected Home operate
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of injection mould and progressive metal stamping tool design requirements and techniques
- Basic familiarity with electronic products featuring LPRF radio systems such as ZigBee, Z-Wave, BLE, WiFi (a working knowledge of electronics a distinct advantage)
- Basic familiarity with PLM systems such as Arena, and control and organisation of BOMs and product data
What qualities are we looking for in our ideal candidate?
- An outgoing and enthusiastic team player, with the attitude and energy to deliver in a fast paced, start-up environment
- An entrepreneurial flair and a can-do attitude; in the connected homes category things change very quickly and we constantly strive to adapt to these changes
- A passion for doing what’s right for the customer
- Excellent written, verbal and computer skills
We’re the team behind Hive Active Heating. Set up by British Gas in 2012, we were given a simple mission: to make the connected home a reality for everyone. We’re here to give you more control over their lives and homes and we’re passionate about providing technology products and services that let our customers control and connect with their homes wherever they are. We launched our brand Hive, by British Gas in September 2013 along with our first product Hive Active Heating which lets you control your heating and hot water from your mobile, tablet or laptop. We’ve also launched MyEnergy, a product that provides customers with helpful insight into their energy consumption.
Now, less than 4 years later, we’re really proud of how far we’ve come. With over 500,000 customers Hive is UK’s No.1 connected thermostat, and with our range of products and innovations we continue to go from strength to strength.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email firstname.lastname@example.org typing Mechanical Engineer R9922236 in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.