Salary; Competitive, + bonus & excellent benefits
Location; Cambridge, with occasional travel to Leicester and London
The role sits inside the Devices team, and reports to the Quality Manager. The Devices team is an enthusiastic team of programme managers, technologists and engineers responsible for the specification, development, evaluation, testing, trialling and deployment of Hive connected home devices. We are looking for a Quality Engineer to ensure that all the products we bring to market, both in-house-developed and sourced from third parties, are manufactured to a standard of quality that is consistent with the values of our brand, and ensure that any issues resulting in customer returns are investigated and actioned.
This is a great opportunity to participate in the development of technology products for a high profile consumer electronics brand, and the start-up culture promoted within Connected Home provides a perfect environment for enthusiastic team players with the ambition to develop their skills.
Key activities for this role include:
- Support the Quality Manager in development, implementation, and operation of a team wide quality management system (QMS), and dove-tailing the team QMS into the group QMS
- Assist the Quality Manager with continuous improvement plans, ensuring timely delivery and measurable outcomes
- Assist the Quality Manager to support work being undertaken by other business groups to determine RMA process and controls (definition of processes, outputs etc.)
- Assist the Quality Manager to support work being undertaken by Central Purchasing to determine supply chain risk (quality auditing of suppliers)
- Work with Product Managers and Design Engineers to assist in defining product specifications with quality-related requirements and expectations clearly stated
- Work with the Quality Manager to ensure current quality and cosmetic standards are relevant and representative of brand expectations
- Collate and action key manufacturing quality information and feedback to improve the products and processes of the business
- Collate and action key RMA quality information and feedback to improve the products and processes of the business
- Oversee RCA/8D process to determine root cause of true failures, and utilise the findings to determine product/process improvements
- As required, undertake detailed supplier audits as part of NPI product validation phase, as well as support management and control of key 3rd party product suppliers (this may involve some national and international travel)
- Participate in Quarterly Business Reviews with key suppliers
- Actively participate in NPI programs utilising APQP tools as appropriate
What experience are we looking for in our ideal candidate?
- A degree or similar in an Electronics-related discipline, backed up by suitable industry qualifications and experience (i.e. CQI accredited courses)
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of QMS implementation and maintenance of procedures/activities
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of participating in structured supplier quality audits
- Experience and knowledge of key quality processes and metrics
- Good working knowledge of the implementation of statistical quality control techniques (capability data, SPC data)
- Exposure to Six Sigma techniques (Green belt preferred)
- Basic familiarity with electronic product manufacturing, and its resultant quality requirements
- Computer literate (spreadsheets, email, technical tools such as CAD software etc.)
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of QMS implementation and maintenance of procedures/activities, participation in structured supplier quality audits, and key quality processes and metrics for wireless consumer electronic products in the same markets as Connected Home operate
- Basic familiarity with electronic products featuring LPRF radio systems such as ZigBee, Z-Wave, BLE, WiFi (a working knowledge of electronics an advantage)
- Advanced knowledge of implementation and monitoring of key quality processes and metrics
What qualities are we looking for in our ideal candidate?
- An outgoing and enthusiastic team player, with the attitude and energy to deliver in a fast paced, start-up environment
- An entrepreneurial flair and a can-do attitude; in the connected homes category things change very quickly and we constantly strive to adapt to these changes
- Will posses the tenacity to ensure that improvements are implemented robustly yet smartly
- A passion for doing what’s right for the customer
- Excellent written, verbal and computer skills
We’re the team behind Hive Active Heating. Set up by British Gas in 2012, we were given a simple mission: to make the connected home a reality for everyone. We’re here to give you more control over their lives and homes and we’re passionate about providing technology products and services that let our customers control and connect with their homes wherever they are.
We launched our brand Hive, by British Gas in September 2013 along with our first product Hive Active Heating which lets you control your heating and hot water from your mobile, tablet or laptop. We’ve also launched MyEnergy, a product that provides customers with helpful insight into their energy consumption.
Now, less than 2 years later, we’re really proud of how far we’ve come. With over 150,000 customers Hive is UK’s No.1 connected thermostat, and with our range of products and innovations we continue to go from strength to strength.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email firstname.lastname@example.org typing Quality Engineer R9922078 in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com