Counsel – NA Home (Digital, Technology and Connected Home)
Direct Energy is a leading energy and energy-related services provider with nearly five million residential and commercial customers in North America. Direct Energy provides customers with choice and support in managing their energy costs through a portfolio of innovative products and services. A subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE: CNA), one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies, Direct Energy operates in 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 provinces in Canada. To learn more about Direct Energy, please visit www.directenergy.com.
Experienced transactional attorney accountable for efficient delivery of legal services to North America Home, with specific and dedicated support for the Digital and Connected Home teams across North America. One of a team of attorneys reporting to the Managing Counsel, NA Home. Responsible for efficient and effective delivery of legal services, both directly and through, as needed, access to outside counsel. Maintains budget discipline while overseeing the work of outside counsel as needed. May be occasionally assigned to complex contractual matters and business transactions in the US and Canada. The role calls for seasoned and highly motivated individual capable of building credible relationships with a variety of constituencies, and providing sound legal advice in a face-paced and rapidly changing business environment
- Demonstrated ability to work cohesively with others
- Minimum of seven years directly relevant experience that includes commercial support. Must have first-hand experience handling complex commercial transactions.
- Ability to independently manage a challenging workload in a fast paced work environment under the stress of deadlines.
- Proven ability to negotiate and draft non-standard contracts that address complex and difficult issues.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (including good listening skills).
- Team player who is able to work collaboratively across functions, with all types of people, and at all levels including executive management.
- Ability to provide sound legal advice that is responsive to the business needs.
- A high degree of professionalism throughout all interactions.
- JD degree from ABA accredited law school
- Licensed in at least one US state
- Must have strong customer service orientation.
- Provide direct counsel to the business, particularly on digital, technology and intellectual property related issues, as well as on more general commercial and transactional matters as needed.
- Set daily priorities for workload, and ensure a work product consistent with company objectives and practices.
- Provide recommendations, as needed, on transactional risk and document standardization; identify and analyse complex legal and procurement related issues, draft key documents, present clear recommendations and minimize risk while simultaneously supporting company strategy.
- As assigned, support complex commercial transactions, including M&A.
- Partner with functional team members and Business Unit staff to deliver effective support and advice.
- Participate in the formulation of digital related policies, procedures and practices, and assist in the interpretation, enforcement and management thereof. This includes, among other things, helping to develop and/or revise precedents and providing training to relevant stakeholders.
- Provide training to Legal team members and business teams regarding technology, digital, IT, Privacy and other matters from time to time.
- Manage outside counsel on matters in an efficient and effective manner in Canada and the US.
- Interface directly and independently with business leaders on matters related to IT and Privacy, including teams in North America and the UK.
- Manage workload independently and with limited immediate supervision.
- Keep informed of relevant laws, regulations, industry standards and ensure that appropriate risk management strategies are in place.
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability