HSE Advisor - Brigg
To guide and assist in the development, implementation and promotion of Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental policies, standards and controls to sustain continuous improvement in HS&E performance whilst conforming to legislation, corporate policy and industry best practice and to provide proactive support to Operational line managers in discharging their HS&E responsibilities. The successful candidate will have a working knowledge of CDM 2015 and or construction experience an advantage.
- Provide specialist HSE guidance to power station management, HSE focal points and personnel, on compliance with all aspects of Health, Safety and Environmental legislation, to enable them to effectively discharge their duties
- Guide and assist in establishing processes and procedures to provide a safe system of work ensuring that health and safety risks to people executing work are minimised
- Support the growth of a positive and strong Occupational Health, Safety and Environment culture throughout the group by implementing processes to develop, monitor and report continuous improvement
- Ensure a robust Safety and Environmental Management System within the Power Stations Management System, compliant with legislative requirements and Company Policies and verify adherence to these processes throughout the operation
- Works closely with Asset/Operational, Engineering and Integrity personnel to ensure the Power Station Management System adequately addresses process safety management
- Identify those aspects of the power station activities that can have an environmental impact, maintain a register and assess for significance and ensure measures are implemented at each power station to effectively manage the risks
- Takes responsibility for the upkeep of a register of licences, permits and consents together with supporting documentation pertaining to HS&E matters, thereby demonstrating legislative compliance
- Utilise databases for the gathering and reporting of pertinent HS&E information reporting accidents and incidents, including process safety related incidents, which require statutory reporting to the Head of HSE in the required time and analyse such data to determine causal events and trends, and implement improvement action
- Lead or participate in multi-disciplined audit or incident/accident investigation, including process safety, to determine root cause and/or any deviation from good practice, recommending corrective actions as appropriate
- Managing the local level relationship between the Station and the outsourced Occupational Health support service, ensuring that policies and procedures align and are integrated within the processes of the assigned power station
- Contribute and participate in business improvement initiatives outwith his/her main discipline, where required
- Detailed knowledge of HS&E practices and legislation in the onshore environment
- Experience as an HS&E practitioner or operational middle manager or with significant operational experience in the Power Generation industry or other similar operations
- NEBOSH Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health and IEMA Certificate in Environmental Management would need to be obtained, or similar recognised level of qualification
- Degree in engineering/science subject desirable
- Good team coaching, analytical skills and the ability to influence and communicate with station personnel
- Good written communication skills to enable development of reports, policies, legislative briefings
- Understand the technical nature of the operation and demands this places on other job holders within the organisation
- Understand all key factors affecting the health, safe and environmentally compliant operation of the power generation businesses that report in to the Director
- Needs to hold a full driving licence
- Job Context and Environment: The Centrica Merchant Power generation assets form a significant proportion of the value of Centrica’s asset base. The effective management of health, safety and environmental issues is critical.
- The job holder implements at Station level Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental policies, standards and controls that both reflect the needs of these operations and fit within the framework of Centrica’s policies. He/she also keeps abreast of rapidly changing legislation and best practice in the field of Safety and Environment and ensures that this is reflected in the power station policies and procedures
- Centrica employs approximately 300 permanent staff within the power station group, but there are also large numbers of contractors working at the various sites at times of short duration shutdowns during period of high workload. It is critical that the job holder implements processes and is proactive to secure involvement and participation at Station level, ensuring that controls are established, fully complied with and maintained to deliver a high standard of HS&E performance
- The job holder will broad receive direction from the Head of HSE, by whom targets for performance will be established
- He/she works within a department that is independent of the Operations and Projects Teams and is able therefore to deliver objective guidance and a verification (policing) function
- Delivery of quality HS&E processes within a power station is heavily dependent on the job holder. The job holder will be required to progress initiatives, such as behavioural observation and risk awareness programmes, in support of a strong Health, Safety and Environment culture.
Centrica plc, a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica's vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximise value to shareholders. Centrica's brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email Becki.Brunetti@britishgas.co.uk typing HSE Advisor - Brigg R9915392 in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.