Project Design Lead
Project Design Lead
Centrica’s international Distributed Energy & Power (DE&P) brings together expertise from our UK and US businesses and works to deliver distributed energy solutions to businesses. We provide construction services to deliver projects across the UK for industrial and commercial customers wishing to reduce energy consumption and/or generate energy. As we grow, recruiting the right people is essential and we currently have an opportunity for a Project Design Lead to be based in our Windsor office.
You will be responsible for leading electrical, mechanical and civil design solutions for distributed generation projects which include CHP, Solar, Gas and Diesel Generation, and Battery Storage technologies and in addition for the solution development and end to end design and engineering delivery function for distributed energy projects for our industrial and commercial clients.
Regulatory Compliance & standards:
- Ensure all engineering and design work complies with all regulatory requirements for projects include distributed generations (i.e. Solar, Energy Storage, Diesel&Gas Generators, CHP, Heat Pumps, Lighting, etc).
- Responsible for maintaining engineering quality management system including engineering document control, quality control audit, software control, technical operating procedures, records, complaints, etc.
- Responsible for creating procedures and guidelines to ensure that governmental and industry regulations are met by other project teams for both international and domestic markets.
- Liaise with procurement, technical and commercial teams to ensure all distributed generation products selected can be designed and constructed to be safe, meeting the essential health and safety requirements listed in the relevant regulations.
- Establish and help develop solutions to meet DE customer’s requirements
- Use own knowledge of the customer’s position to assess the viability of opportunities.
- Deliver industry leading energy generation and energy efficiency solutions for industrial and commercial customers, working alongside other technical engineering teams, the commercial function and third party suppliers as necessary.
- Responsible for the detailed solution design of standard projects and support the commercial manager on the design of larger, more complex projects. Relevant technologies including CHP, solar, gas and diesel generation, lighting and battery storage. Ensure all work is achieved within agreed timescales, cost constraints and quality standards.
- Develop cost estimates and, working with the other engineering teams, develop the bill of materials to evaluate the overall commercial solution design.
- Support the drafting of energy efficiency solutions for customers that evaluate the appropriate electrical and mechanical works on specific sites to optimise the customer's goals (cost, carbon, energy use).
Project Design Delivery
- Deliver leading industry standard engineering designs for energy generation and energy efficiency projects on industrial and commercial customer sites. Work alongside other Design and Engineering teams, commercial function and third party suppliers to develop designs for full customer solutions.
- Responsible for the production of design work and documentation necessary for the construction of generation and energy efficiency projects on customer’s sites. Work alongside the relevant technology specialists and engineers to produce comprehensive 2D and 3D design solutions and relevant bill of materials. Technologies within the scope of this role include CHP, Solar, Gas and Diesel Generation and Energy Storage. Responsible for delivering detailed design and construction drawings to support project teams to complete projects.
- Responsible for preparing, presenting and agreeing design recommendations, with appropriate analysis of risk, and taking account of cost, quality, safety, reliability, appearance, fitness for purpose, security, intellectual property (IP) constraints and opportunities, and environmental impact.
- Maintain an industry leading level of knowledge of distributed energy technologies and their integration on customer sites for the team.
- Provide technology specific expertise to other stakeholders across DE&P as required (e.g. supporting technical sales teams)
- Consider and implement new and emerging technologies
- Assess market needs and contribute to marketing strategies by leading the technology team.
- Promote new technologies and applications.
- Identify constraints and exploit opportunities for the development and transfer of technology within own chosen field
- Involvement in the specification and procurement of new engineering products, processes, and systems.
- Enhance engineering practices, products, processes, systems and services
Health & Safety
- Responsible for meeting all relevant health, safety, environmental & associated legal requirements for quality and ensure the team complies with these
- Responsible for creating a proactive culture of continuous improvement around health and safety within your team and integrating high performance in quality.
- Create the culture and processes to manage HSE, protect margin and deliver projects on time, championing DE&P values.
- A bachelor degree in an engineering discipline is required. Electrical or mechanical engineering background is preferred. Also, a master’s degree in an engineering discipline or in an area that demonstrates technology skills is advantageous.
- To possess a minimum of 10 years of design experience that is related to the energy industry (Renewables, Oil&Gas, Electrical power industry, Coal, Nuclear, etc.)
- Previous experience in design, installation and O&M for energy projects.
- Good understanding of Distributed Energy product technologies (Solar, Energy Storage, Diesel&Gas Generators, CHP).
- Engineering management experience in renewable energy and/or CHP generation business
- Extensive experience in development of energy assets on industrial and commercial properties connecting into private networks
- Extensive knowledge of connecting generation assets into private networks
- In depth understanding of all legislation, regulations, working practices and other codes of practice relevant to the role
- Deep understanding of the needs of customers and how technology solutions can be designed and adapted to meet them
Centrica plc, a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica's vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximise value to shareholders. Centrica's brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document. Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email email@example.com typing ‘Update required: Project Design Lead R9918191’ in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.