Direct Energy is a leading energy and energy-related services provider with nearly five million residential and commercial customers in North America. Direct Energy provides customers with choice and support in managing their energy costs through a portfolio of innovative products and services. A subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE: CNA), one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies, Direct Energy operates in 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 provinces in Canada. To learn more about Direct Energy, please visit www.directenergy.com.
• Undergraduate degree in engineering, the basic sciences, or economics/business
• Experience in an analytical role, preferably in the energy sector
• Working knowledge of statistics and general forecasting methodologies
• Knowledge of retail electricity or gas markets is a plus
• Experience in retail load forecasting is a plus.
• Strong statistical, analytical, data management, and problem solving skills
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Data visualization experience
• Strong Microsoft Excel and Access (or other database) skills.
• Programming experience with SQL, VBA, and one or more analytical tools (SAS, R, Matlab,etc)
• Experience with Database Management Systems (Oracle, SQL Server) and manipulation of large data sets
The primary responsibility of the Forecasting Analyst will be the creation and validation of electricity or natural gas load forecasts for the customer portfolio of Direct Energy’s retail business. The Forecasting Analyst will be part of a Houston, TX based team which is responsible for load forecasts throughout all major markets across US and Canada.
The team creates and manages both short term and long term electricity or gas forecasts composed from a diverse set of forecasting models which take into account key customer attributes, past energy consumption, and weather variables.
Duties include driving the entire end-to-end forecast process from analyzing diverse input data sets and market structures, understanding and improving load models, communicating changes with our business partners and improving the process through settlement feedback. This job is a great opportunity to experience many facets of the retail and wholesale energy industry and we are seeking highly motivated talented individuals with excellent communication skills to meet these requirements.
• Employ custom systems in the preparation of retail energy forecasts, which become the baseline for commodity hedging and scheduling.
• Facilitate communication between stakeholders (Retail Line of Business, Portfolio Mgmt, Trading, Risk, Credit) on a day to day basis to discuss changes and resolve issues
• Assure proper delivery, consistency, and accuracy of forecast deliverables
• Recommend and implement appropriate forecasting strategies and methodologies through research and detailed analysis of load/consumption, business requirements, risk, and opportunities
• Perform analysis on the input data streams and provide recommendations to optimize the process
• Traverse large and complex customer account, consumption, and forecast databases comfortably
• Validate market, customer, and weather inputs to the load forecasting system and assure quality and accuracy on the forecasting outputs
• Develop metric reports to identify potential improvements of the load forecasts
• Automate, streamline and enhance current processes
• Research and communicate improvements regarding weather impact, customer type volatility, losses, profiling methods, and forecasting methods
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability