Head of Technology Development
Following the strategy review in 2015 we believe Distributed Energy to be a material growth opportunity for Centrica. We therefore created a new Distributed Energy & Power (DE&P) business unit. (Distributed energy - energy management for large business customers - includes energy efficiency, flexible generation, new technologies, energy management and optimisation)
- Require Master degree or equivalent on computer science, mathematics, or engineering
- 10+ years in technology management or product management
- Extensive energy industry network including technology organizations, academic institutions, trade bodies, vendors and supply chain
- Technology start-up and/or Venture Capital experience a plus
- Management of B2B technology projects, procurement or partnerships preferably in the engineering, construction, heavy industry, utility or technology based business
- A solid understanding of distributed energy technologies including, CHP, diesel generators, gas generators, solar, building controls, energy efficiency measures, battery storage and fuel cells
- A good understanding of Information Technologies as well as Operational Technologies including energy and or operational analytics
- Demonstrable knowledge of global and local energy market and regulatory trends
- Proven ability to complete projects and achieve results in an ambiguous work environment.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to build consensus within project teams and across the wider business organization.
This role is responsible for global sourcing and managing a pipeline of new and emerging technology opportunities for the DE&P business, enabling the development of leading edge technology solutions and customer propositions.
The role will be externally facing and will scan and scout the global market for new developments in distributed energy technologies including distributed generation, energy plant and equipment, building and asset management, energy efficiency and energy storage.
The role will work with the wider Technology and Product Development team as well as global Growth & Development and Marketing & Propositions teams to triage technology opportunities and manage selected technologies and technology companies through a technology commercialization process, which could involve trials, customer pilots, business deployment, strategic partnerships, investment or M&A activity.
This individual will be an important member of the Technology & Product Development team and will have a key role in developing world class technology capability for the Distributed Energy & Power business.
- Scan & scout the global market for new and emerging Distributed Energy technology opportunities in line with the DE&P Growth & Development strategy
- Evaluate and triage opportunities in order to build a pipeline of new technology with a potential to add value through market leading capability or attractive customer propositions
- Manage relationships with technology companies throughout the technology development process from prospect all the way through to business implementation
- Develop and manage the technology commercialisation process including, trials, customer pilots, technology evaluation and due diligence and business deployment
- Manage technology commercialization projects, including, business case development, resource, budgets, IS support, out-sourcing
- Work with Growth & Development to explore and support opportunities for investment, partnerships or M&A
- Work collaboratively across the T&PD team to ensure a holistic Technology & Product Development strategy and synergy between existing and emerging technologies and platforms.
- Knowledge share/transfer of best practice across active DE&P country territories
- Apply Centrica values in all day-to-day activities. Competencies and Qualifications
- An entrepreneurial thought leader with knowledge, experience and drive to harness the latest in digital technology and apply it to create a world class customer experience in a fast moving energy market.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with technical, IS, commercial and management teams to enable delivery of industry leading solutions
- Commercial acumen so as to understand the costs and benefit implications of technology and decisions
- Leadership of high performing project, cross-functional and virtual teams
- Proven ability to manage complex stakeholder relationships across multiple business interfaces
- Confidence and credibility with highly developed communications to drive behavioural and performance improvement
- Budget management and the development/analysis of management information