Senior Data Analyst (Big Data/Data Science)
British Gas is recruiting for a new team member to join their Data Science Team in our HQ in Staines (TW18), London. We are looking for an individual that not only comes from a technical background but is keen to move into a business facing functional role.
Package – Competitive
As our resident Senior Data Analyst, you will be involved in ground-breaking visionary ideas to deliver Big Data products & solutions across our Global Business and have the opportunity to investigate and implement the next generation of Data Science and Big Data technologies into the business. For this we will need a candidate who is experienced in the following:
- Experience or exposure to the Apache Hadoop distribution of tools and associated products; typically, Hive, Pig, HCatalog and Map-Reduce procedural programming languages
- Use data analysis, basic / descriptive statistics, and data exploration techniques
- Identify areas for improvement or optimisation that are actionable and can deliver a return on investment
- Use data analysis techniques to deliver quick working prototypes to prove hypothesis by building statistical models using a range of tools including R, Python, and Spark
- Using algorithms to help deliver data products and work with the software engineering team to correctly embed these algorithms in our British Gas and Centrica platforms and products
- Use cutting edge visualisations to enable our business to better explore the patterns and trends hidden within our data
- Actively promotes best practise and knowledge sharing of data analysis techniques both within the data science team and with external stakeholders
- The successful candidate will need the following hands-on technical capabilities and you also have had proven extensive experience of the software development lifecycle, ideally in an multiple systems environment
- Strong grasp of numbers, statistics, mathematical concepts, and algorithms. Ideally with a degree at a Masters level
- Knowledge of data structures, relational data, and big data platforms
- Programming experience or exposure to some of the following (or similar) technologies: Java, R, Python, Matlab, SQL, No-SQL, Hadoop, Spark
- Exposure to machine learning algorithms and concepts
- Knowledge of data science and its application within the utility industry or within other large-scale organisations
British Gas, part of the Centrica Group, supplies gas and electricity to UK residential and business customers, provides central heating and gas appliance installation and maintenance and low-carbon and energy efficient products and services.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email email@example.com typing ‘Update required: Senior Data Analyst (Big Data/Data Science) R9915697’ in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.