Salary; Circa; £60,000 with flex dependant on experience + excellent bonus and benefits
Location: Cambridge (5 minutes from the train station)
As an Embedded developer, you’ll specialise in integrating new hardware, device firmware, etc. for Internet of Things product delivery. At Hive We develop solutions for controlling and integrating everything in the home from your heating, cameras, security devices and smart plugs. As an Embedded Developer in the Embedded team, you will be key
What you will be doing? On a day to day basis, you will among other things:
- Work in an agile environment with a dynamic and highly skilled team.
- Collaborate with the Manufacturing team to help define the software requirements for new hardware developments.
- Bring up new ARM-based Linux boards.
- Specify and validate drivers for IoT radio tiles, USB interfaces, WiFi and BTLE.
- Develop embedded solutions for IoT devices.
To be brilliant in this role you will have/be:
- An enthusiastic software developer with an interest in designing for performance and reliability
- The ability to identify and quantify technical risk, with an appreciation of security considerations for distributed systems
- Able to develop resilient solutions to mitigate risk,
- A genuine interest in supporting the manufacturing process with firmware testing solutions
This technical role is being made open to all experience levels Ideally you should be:
- A team player who likes to discuss solutions and ideas
- commercial experience of C/C++
- Extensive and detailed embedded Linux experience
- Linux kernel programming
- Commercial experience with test frameworks.
- Experience with embedded device firmware development
- low-level ZigBee, Z-Wave, WiFi, BTLE and/or USB interfacing experience
You’ll be expected to ensure that your work and code is of the highest quality.
- Degree-educated (e.g. Computing, Electronic Engineering, etc.)
- C/C++ programming (Required)
- Java programming (Desired)
- Python programming (Desired)
- Linux development (Required)
- Linux kernel development (Required)
- Agile methodologies (Desired)
We’re the team behind Hive Active Heating. Set up by British Gas in 2012, we were given a simple mission: to make the connected home a reality for everyone. We’re here to give you more control over their lives and homes and we’re passionate about providing technology products and services that let our customers control and connect with their homes wherever they are.
We launched our brand Hive, by British Gas in September 2013 along with our first product Hive Active Heating which lets you control your heating and hot water from your mobile, tablet or laptop. We’ve also launched MyEnergy, a product that provides customers with helpful insight into their energy consumption.
Now, less than 2 years later, we’re really proud of how far we’ve come. With over 150,000 customers Hive is UK’s No.1 connected thermostat, and with our range of products and innovations we continue to go from strength to strength.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email email@example.com typing Embedded Developer R9915946 in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.