Senior UX Designer
Do you want to help us create world class digital experiences?
British Gas is recruiting for a Senior UX Designer with exciting creative capabilities and a strong interest in innovation to work as part of their vibrant and growing internal UX agency at their Headquarters in Staines-upon-Thames (TW18). We foster a culture of innovation, exploration and creativity within the UX Team that ensures we never accept the status quo or the uninspiring solution. As the largest supplier of gas & electricity to households & businesses in the UK, we strive to deliver a world class user experience to all of our customers at every opportunity.
As a Senior UX Designer you will be leading one of four teams of up to 6 UX Designers and reporting to the Head of UX & Design. You will be using agile and lean design methodologies and working in one of a number of scrum teams that cover all areas of digital including responsive web and native apps serving a user base of around 11 million.
We are at a very exciting time of change in the business where there is great opportunity to make regular meaningful contributions to our users experiences. This role will require you to:
- Be the confident, objective voice of our users
- Relentlessly chase innovation and produce world class quality experiences
- Follow and help to shape our own internal UX processes
- Empower the UX team and collaborate internally/externally
- Work in a dynamic agency style environment that fosters creativity and idea sharing
- Inspire and motivate others through positivity and divergent thinking
You will be driven by a passion for the user and an ambition to push the boundaries of how we can satisfy and delight our users beyond best practices and industry standards. You will be overflowing with exciting ideas and be able to articulate them clearly to stakeholders with emotion and bullet proof reasoning.
You will have:
- An energetic and visible passion for user centred design & problem solving
- An intrinsic ability to turn complexity into simplicity
- The competency to be both quick and thorough
- An analytical capacity to allow you to quickly pinpoint a problem and suggest the best solution
- Exceptional communication, presentation and storytelling skills
- A constant craving for ongoing learning, improvement and enhancement
- An outstanding portfolio that demonstrates your general expertise across all areas of the UX landscape including:
- Evidence – (what) Data Analytics (GA, SiteCatalyst, ClickTale etc), Behavioural Insights, ROI
- Empathy – (why) User Research & Usability Testing
- Exploration - User Journey mapping, Experience mapping, Task & Process analysis
- Philosophy - Information Architecture, Accessibility, Security
- Creativity - Sketching, Wireframing, Interaction Design & Micro-Interaction Design
- Finesse - Visual Design, Creativity, UI Detail & UI Delight (Photoshop, Sketch etc)
- Experimentation - Interactive Prototyping (Axure or similar) & Developer collaboration
- Psychology - Conversion Optimisation, UCD Strategy & Persuasive Design
- Collaboration - Workshop facilitation, Design Collaboration, Concept presentation & Justification
- Visual Design is a key requirement in this role. As is evidence based design and justification for design decisions based on specific user insights
- Comprehensive knowledge of UX trends (past, present and predicted)
- Great expectation management and collaboration skills across multi-discipline teams
- Experience as a Senior UX Designer or UX Lead managing other UX Designers
- Experience scoping timescales/budgets and delivering on time
- Experience mentoring other UX practitioners and enhancing skill sets
- Experience critiquing and giving positive feedback to junior designers
*Portfolio URL/PDF required for consideration – please specify level of contribution for each item and information about the process undertaken.
Centrica plc, a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica's vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximise value to shareholders. Centrica's brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button. To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email Careers@centrica.com typing ‘Update required: Senior UX Designer R9916099’ in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.