Accounting / Finance Summer Intern
Job DescriptionDE Business is the largest commercial and industrial retailer in North America based on customer numbers. It provides natural gas and electricity sales to small, medium and large-size businesses, public institutions, and government.
This is a position for a motivated individual looking to gain knowledge and experience in the natural gas and electricity markets. Intern should be very familiar with Excel for building and analyzing spreadsheets. Computer skills and communication skills are critical for this internship. Interns should be very detail-oriented and able to work independently and efficiently.
Credit Risk Management – assist the credit risk team in their daily activities of managing the credit exposures and profiles of Direct Energy’s supply and trading partners
Market Risk – work with our risk systems to help understand transaction life cycles and be able to help with the integration of a new risk platform
Upstream Gas Finance – work with our upstream production to track performance and weekly drivers
Finance Shared Services - work side by side with the controllers and Vice-Presidents of all Lines of Business to provide specialized services such as Settlements, Account Receivable management, Data Quality, General Accounting, Gross Margin management, Technical Accounting, Accounts Payable management, Treasury, Tax and Controls for the Direct Energy organization
Settlement/Accounts Receivable/Data Quality – confirmation and issue resolution around settlements, prior period adjustment analysis, data analysis around system platform interface
General Accounting – financial statement reporting and consolidation, fixed asset accounting
Gross Margin – accounting and management reporting for downstream businesses
Technical Accounting – M&A due diligence, accounting policies, technical accounting research
Accounts Payable – accounts payable processing and issue resolution
Treasury – cash flow/liquidity management, FX exposure management
Tax – tax return filing and compliance, tax savings strategy
Controls – process and control documentation, management testing, process improvement projects
Decision Support – customer and project valuation for DE’s residential business
Retail Portfolio Management - valuation of residential customer characteristics and the load forecasting automation project
- Assist in developing new reporting as the business evolves and the group adapts to the needs of stakeholders.
- Complete a project and give a presentation at the end of the internship.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others in the organization including the Finance, Risk Management, wholesale personnel, Legal, and Internal Audit.
- Education currently enrolled in a 4 year University and studying one of the degrees listed below.
- 3.0 Overall GPA and in good academic standing.
- Individuals should be able to complete the 10 week internship during the summer break
- Candidate must be a US citizen or permanent resident, authorized to work in the US on a permanent, full time basis without sponsorship
- College degree and/or proven related work experience
- Pursing a relevant or quantitative degree is required (eg. accounting, finance, economics, business, engineering, math)
- Highly developed mathematical and computer skills, particularly using Excel
- Strong analytical skills and good understanding of financial/accounting terminology
- Display an intellectual curiosity and possess excellent problem solving skills
Direct Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability.