Electronics Technician Engineer
The Devices team is an enthusiastic team of programme managers, technologists and engineers responsible for the specification, development, evaluation, testing, trialing and deployment of Hive connected home devices. We are looking for an Electronics Technician Engineer to join the small team which is responsible for the design and manufacture of our own devices. This team covers electronics and mechanical hardware design, supply chain management, manufacturing technology, logistics, product approvals, device firmware and Quality. This is a great opportunity to participate in the development of technology products for a high profile consumer electronics brand, and the start-up culture promoted within Connected Home provides a perfect environment for enthusiastic team players with the ambition to develop their skills.
- Salary Circa; £28, 000 - £35,000 (maybe flex, depending on experience) + Bonus & Excellent benefits.
- Location: Leicester Lab, Aylestone Road, Leicester, with occasional travel to Cambridge.
What will you be up to:
- Provide general hands-on support for the Electronics Design Engineers
- Fit, remove and rework through hole and surface mount components on prototype PCB assemblies
- Assemble prototype PCBAs into prototype housings
- Work with, and provide support to, third party prototyping subcontractors such as contract manufacturers and fabricators
- Under the guidance of the Electronics Design Engineers, carry out basic electronics testing of prototypes, and collate and report results
- Take responsibility for the care and maintenance of bench tools and instruments in the electronics lab
- Take responsibility for the small stock of prototyping components and materials in the electronics lab
- Track prototype builds of PCBAs and assemblies, and distribute prototypes among internal users as required
What experience are we looking for in our ideal candidate?
- A suitable electronics qualification (such as a Level 3 BTEC/C&G Diploma in Electrical/Electronic Engineering)
- Excellent hand soldering and rework skills, including small surface mount components
- Experience of hand-assembling small electronics-based products
- Competence in the use of simple electronics instruments such as DVM, oscilloscope
- Computer literate (spreadsheets, email, basic technical tools such as terminals)
- Familiarity with volume electronics manufacturing techniques
- Familiarity with prototyping techniques such as 3D printing
- Basic familiarity with electronics product data formats such as bills of materials, Gerber files, other electronics-related CAD formats
What qualities are we looking for in our ideal candidate?
- An outgoing and enthusiastic team player, with the attitude and energy to deliver in a fast paced, start-up environment
- If you’re an electronics hobbyist, you’ll know the sort of skills and approach we need
- An entrepreneurial flair and a can-do attitude; in the connected homes category things change very quickly and we constantly strive to adapt to these changes
- A passion for doing what’s right for the customer
- Excellent written, verbal and computer skills
This is a fantastic opportunity to be part of an innovative business that is leading the connected home market. Hive is a British Gas innovation that creates connected products designed to give people the control they want for their homes remotely. The first product Hive Active Heating launched in 2013 enabling people to control their heating and hot water from their mobile, tablet and laptop, followed by the next generation Hive thermostat in 2015.
This year Hive has launched a family of complementary connected home products including SmartPlugs, sensors and soon to be released lights
British Gas, part of the Centrica Group, supplies gas and electricity to UK residential and business customers, provides central heating and gas appliance installation and maintenance and low-carbon and energy efficient products and services.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email email@example.com typing Electronics Technician Engineer R9914256 in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com .