Junior Legal Counsel (Litigation)
To be responsible for the conduct, management and delivery of high volume customer litigation (primarily defendant Small Claims) and associated pre-action advice and guidance. Additionally responsible for the conduct, management and support of high value (£1m+) complex commercial claims (pre and post High Court issue). Working closely with the business units to ensure the provision of claims reports, analysis and statistics together with the development and delivery of training, policies and processes to mitigate risk and increase awareness. In order to be successful this will involve building great relationships with those in the legal team and key stakeholders in the wider business.
Provide pre and post issue litigation advice and guidance to support the business and support the delivery of customer litigation to achieve the best possible outcome in each case. Additionally accountable for the conduct, management and support of high value, complex commercial pre and post issued claims. This will include:
- Providing appropriate and timely advice on applicable laws and regulations, monitoring EU and UK legislative and judicial activity
- Handling a high volume of litigation in-house where possible
- Conducting and managing high volume customer claims
- Conducting, managing and supporting senior colleagues on large high value (£1m+) and complex commercial cases
- Instructing and managing external lawyers and third parties where appropriate, closely managing external spend and budget
- Providing litigation support on non-contentious issues to the wider legal team and business; and
- Administration; providing support to the litigation team with all administration matters, such as internal reporting
- Engaging with the relevant business units to provide analysis and statistics to increase internal knowledge about the cause of litigation and to drive change
- Identify, develop and roll out business focused training to the legal team and wider business to manage and mitigate risk and up-skill colleagues
- Investigate, support, develop and drive process and policy review and development
- Qualified junior commercial litigation solicitor with experience of working within a litigation team
- Previous litigation experience working within a FTSE 250 business desired but not essential
- Experience of working within the downstream energy sector desired but not essential
- Demonstrable experience of conducting own volume caseload of Small, Fast and Multi Track Claims matters with minimal supervision
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of ADR, CPR, County and High / Commercial Court procedure essential
- Demonstrable experience of injunctive relief applications
- Experience of and Rights of Entry Warrants valued but not essential
- Demonstrable skills in legal enquiry and analysis
- Excellent drafting ability (to include statements of case and standard court management documents)
- Excellent attention to detail, collation and assimilation of large quantities of information and documentation; able to produce accurate documents, bundles and reports to a high standard
- Demonstrable experience of developing and delivery of training to non-lawyers
- A working knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint is essential
- Experience of dealing with litigants in person and management of PR risk essential
- Excellent interpersonal and influences skills, be confident, pragmatic and have excellent commercial judgement
- Significant demonstrable experience of internal reporting requirements to a broad range of stakeholders essential
- Demonstrable experience of budget and cost control essential
Centrica plc, a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica's vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximise value to shareholders. Centrica's brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email Nicole.Williamson@centrica.com typing 'Update required: Junior Legal Counsel (Litigation) R9913390' in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com