Direct Energy is a leading energy and energy-related services provider with nearly five million residential and commercial customers in North America. Direct Energy provides customers with choice and support in managing their energy costs through a portfolio of innovative products and services. A subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE: CNA), one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies, Direct Energy operates in 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 provinces in Canada. To learn more about Direct Energy, please visit www.directenergy.com.
Direct Energy is seeking a highly motivated Engineering Manager to join the North America Distributed Energy (NADE) Team. The successful candidate will have strong engineering, project management and leadership experience, leadership capability and will have worked in a stage gate project process. Using leadership, project management and technical skills, the successful candidate will lead his/her team to develop, execute and manage energy efficiency, distributed generation and demand management projects throughout the North America Distributed Energy (NADE) footprint.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Science required. Master's in Business, Management, Engineering or Science degree preferred.
- PE license required, PMP & CEM certifications preferred.
- Ability to obtain additional PE licenses in various states required.
- Experience with the energy business will be an added advantage.
- 15+ years of engineering experience with experience in demand management, on-site power and energy efficiency.
- 10+ years project management experience in a large cap project environment that involves managing teams from project conception to turnover to operations.
- Exceptional leadership skills that include the ability to communicate clearly and “impactfully” with senior leadership, influence effectively across functions and with peer groups, and an ability to create a team-based atmosphere that encourages transparency along with a positive and “open challenge” atmosphere.
- A working knowledge of construction, procurement, cost control, accounting, contracts, labor, operations, reliability/ maintenance and project economics.
- Capability to review project drawings and understand technical details and identify risks.
- Specific experience working with a phased/ stage-gated project management process and system.
- Working knowledge of incentive and rebate programs.
- Familiarity with commodity sales (gas and electric) and demand response programs a plus.
- Highly effective managerial and leadership capabilities.
- Demonstrated ability to complete work, including projects, in a timely, organized and efficient manner.
- Demonstrated self-starter, proactive and ability to work without supervision.
- Excellent relationship-building and negotiation skills.
- Outstanding written, oral communication, presentation and critical thinking and decision making skills.
- Capacity to build a wide network of vendor partners for project execution and new leads.
- Ability to understand complex contract structures involving project management, financing, and commodity sales.
- Capability to provide outstanding customer service and technical excellence.
- Ability to obtain required project permits (construction, environmental, etc.)
- Ability develop, submit and manager the process for utility interconnect agreements
- Travel required ~20 – 30% local and domestic.
- Willingness to work “off-hours” to complete work.
The Manager, Engineering will lead his/ her multi-discipline team of engineers, designers, draftsmen and technicians in the development of projects from lead inception through contract execution including facility auditing, feasibility studies and proposal development, while providing technical, economic, and commercial input; submitting applications for incentive and rebates; project execution plans; cost estimates, budgets and schedules.
The Manager, Engineering and his/ her team is responsible to provide all aspects of engineering and design and support the projects team for the timely and on-budget execution of projects, safety performance, project economics, project coordination across multiple parties including engineers, contractors, local utilities, and other third parties, technical completeness of their assigned projects, and reporting on project status to upper management.
The Manager, Engineering and his/ her project managers must further develop and maintain customer relationships during project execution and will interact with and foster strong relationships and networks with our projects team, engineering, mechanical contracting and vendor partners and throughout the organization including, sales and origination, commercial analytics, HSES, legal, risk/ insurance, tax, accounting, and management, as well as external parties including superintendents, maintenance personnel, engineers, contactors, local code inspectors, and utility representatives.
- Lead team in the development and execution of energy efficiency, distributed generation and demand management projects throughout the North America Distributed Energy (NADE) footprint.
- Manage and coordinate all engineering aspects of project execution including design package development, bid solicitation, contractor selection, contract review, HSES reviews and performance, on-site construction, utility connection, invoice approval, schedule monitoring, and customer hand-off.
- Manage existing auditing and compliance programs and continue to expand internal capabilities to perform audits (e.g. ASHRAE level I, II & III) and feasibility studies.
- Actively support all HSES programs and all associated goals for exceptional performance through better management of all processes and procedures.
- Assist sales in the assessment of opportunities, development of proposals, including participation in customer sales calls, board meetings, public hearings acting as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) assisting with project clarifications and developing a comfort level with the customer regarding our capacity to manage and execute projects.
- Review financial models related to projects, including project costs, monthly payments, efficiencies, fuel consumption, risks, and internal rate of return.
- Coordinate and direct/ support the selection process for engineers/contractors.
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of permitting documentation, utility interconnects engineering estimates, budgets, scopes and schedules for proposed and approved projects.
- Oversee the management of contractor-performed engineering and procurement, including support of all aspects of construction activities including labor relations, safety, planning and scheduling.
- Coordinate the development and resolution of project requirements with the responsible operations groups and corporate/ departmental staff functions, such as analytics, HSES, sales, legal, risk/ insurance, tax, accounting, planning and management, etc.
- Understand and comply with established processes, procedures and technical standards providing continuous improvement incorporating best practices (includes on-going participation in PIP – Process Industry Practices).
- Ensure proper project closeout including financial close, document turnover, record drawings, lessons learned, etc.
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability