Sr. Analyst, Gas Balancing
Direct Energy generates electricity and produces natural gas, as well as selling commodities and servicing the energy needs of homes and businesses in 46 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 Canadian provinces. We also help our customers save on their energy bills through energy efficiency. Located in over 50 locations, our team of 6,000+ employees serve over 6 million residential and commercial customer relationships.
Direct Energy is a subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE:CNA), one of the world's leading integrated energy companies with over 20 million customers and 34,000 employees worldwide. We are committed to being the most recommended energy and services provider and leading the transition to a low carbon society.
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance is required, MBA is a similar discipline a plus
- CPA/CA a plus
- Five or more years accounting experience in a progressive organization
- Thorough technical/professional knowledge and skill relating to accounting standards and reporting standards, GAAP or IFRS.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize many tasks and responsibilities while maintaining a positive attitude
- Ability to initiate action to accomplish objectives and goals; be proactive
- Ability to analyze issues with limited direction; excellent problem solving skills
- Working knowledge of SAP strongly preferred; High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office products, especially Excel and Word along with strong PC skills; Advanced knowledge of Excel (macros, VBA, etc) preferred
- Working knowledge of the Endur ETRM application a plus
- Knowledge of retail power and/or natural gas industry a plus
- Ability to work in a fast paced organization under strict deadlines; flexibility to work additional hours during stand up of the department may be required.
Direct Energy Business is a division of Direct Energy that provides retail electricity and natural gas services throughout North America. The Senior Analyst within the Gas Balancing team takes a support role in the gas volumetric balancing process for Direct Energy Business’ North American Operations. Additionally, the position is responsible for supporting volumetric audits of Direct Energy Business gas activity. This role is also a key member of a newly formed team that is responsible for reconciliations of gas movements to 3rd party support. Additionally the team is responsible for the ultimate volumetric tie out to company records in order to ensure accuracy and completeness of financial records. The team also assists Controllership Team with monthly close and reporting that responsible for protecting the company’s interest and reputation in all transactions with internal and external business partners.
- Support start-up group that is responsible for volumetric control for Direct Energy Business North American operations. Validate that Energy Trade Risk Management system data, related to gas and power movements, are reconciled to 3rd party data, also ensuring related company financial records are accurate.
- Assist in developing and executing complete front to back volumetric reconciliation from procurement of commodity to disposition to customer. Includes Pipeline balancing, LDC balancing, etc.
- Work closely with Wholesale and Retail Operations teams, as well as Settlements to resolve discrepancies associated with transportation of product. Conduct independent research by utilizing 3rd party information from pipelines, ISOs and utilities to ensure system data is updated timely and accurately.
- Responsible for ensuring imbalances for gas and power are kept to company standards. Maintain Balance Sheet controls and reconciliations related to volumetric imbalance.
- Provide ad hoc research and analysis to support decision making processes
- Exhibit teamwork and team building skills. Coach and assist junior staff as required.
- Ability to exhibit flexibility and balance workload for core accountabilities (including special projects as assigned)
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability