Sr. Gas Trader
Direct Energy generates electricity and produces natural gas, as well as selling commodities and servicing the energy needs of homes and businesses in 46 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 Canadian provinces. We also help our customers save on their energy bills through energy efficiency. Located in over 50 locations, our team of 6,000+ employees serve over 6 million residential and commercial customer relationships.
Direct Energy is a subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE:CNA), one of the world's leading integrated energy companies with over 20 million customers and 34,000 employees worldwide. We are committed to being the most recommended energy and services provider and leading the transition to a low carbon society.
- University degree, MBA or equivalent preferred
- Superior knowledge of North American/Canadian gas markets –specifically British Columbia and Alberta. Knowledge of Pac Northwest and California is a plus.
- 5-7 years commercial energy experience including
- Extensive knowledge of physical flows and point trading is required.
- Managing assets across this region
- Managing and flowing gas transportation contracts
- Working with utilities, gas producers, and C&I markets
- Excellent Executive / Customer presentation skills
- Superior financial analysis skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Resourcefulness and ability to work with limited supervision
- Flexibility and ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines
The Senior Trader is a senior member of the DEB West Gas Team located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. This role is responsible for setting the commercial gas strategy for British Columbia in conjunction with overall West Gas overall strategy. The role reports directly to the Director – West Gas Trading. The role will oversee pricing, origination and optimization in support of both wholesale trading and retail markets on both sides of the border.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Set and achieve profit targets
- Effectively manage optimization and retail supply risk
- Effectively manage and create value from assets.
- Develop origination capabilities to target utilities, end users and sources of advantaged supply
- Support retail sales for multiple lines of business: DEB/DER/Centrica
- Support DEB West Gas with advantage supply, asset management and market knowledge
- Ensure consistent risk management practices and processes are implemented across the region
- Supervise/mentor/develop commercial skills & leadership behaviors
- Collaborate with Sales and Strategy groups on market approach and issue resolution
- Collaborate with Sales to create best in class process for pricing, load forecasting and position management
Skills and Competencies
- Critical Thinking/Creative Thinking: Identify main issues, problems & opportunities; assess a range of situations & solutions, using analysis to draw appropriate conclusions and judgments.
- Collaboration/Influencing: applies range of appropriate behaviors and influencing styles to gain the support, trust, and credibility of both internal and external sales clients and partners to effectively and efficiently achieve stated business objectives.
- Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions;
- Thinks and talks strategy. Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective; is future oriented; can articulately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods; can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
- Develops Talent. Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments; holds frequent development discussions; is aware of each person’s career goals; constructs compelling development plans and executes them; pushes people to accept developmental moves; cooperates with the developmental system in the organization.
- Creates Effective Teams. Blends people into teams when needed; creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; creates a common mindset, or common challenge; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; defines success in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging in the team
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability