Legal Counsel, IT and Privacy
Direct Energy is a leading energy and energy-related services provider with nearly five million residential and commercial customers in North America. Direct Energy provides customers with choice and support in managing their energy costs through a portfolio of innovative products and services. A subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE: CNA), one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies, Direct Energy operates in 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 provinces in Canada. To learn more about Direct Energy, please visit www.directenergy.com.
Experienced transactional attorney, one of two attorneys reporting to a Lead Counsel for IT and Privacy, within a larger team supporting the company’s shared services functions. This position will have a concentration in IT matters. Responsible for efficiently and effectively delivering legal services, both directly and through outside counsel. Maintains budget discipline while overseeing the work of outside counsel as needed. May be occasionally assigned to complex business transactions in the US and Canada. The role calls for seasoned and highly motivated individual capable of building credible relationships with a variety of constituencies, and providing sound legal advice with guidance from Lead Counsel.
- Capable of independently providing legal services on multiple complex transactions.
- Participate as a member of a collaborative and empowered legal team that provides timely, efficient and effective legal support to his/her business units.
- Strong communicator who translates legal matters into concise and credible messages.
- Superior listener who is persuasive, poised and articulate.
- Business maturity coupled with the highest integrity.
- True collaborator who maintains a balanced view of the business and can effectively deliver candid and honest assessments to clients and Legal supervisors.
- Ensure that health, safety and environment objectives and targets are met with the Legal team in North America.
- JD degree from ABA accredited law school
- Licensed in at least one US state
- Periodic travel, including airline travel and overnight stays, may be required.
The job holder will be required to manage a varied work load. Key areas will include:
- Provide direct counsel to staff on IT and Privacy-related issues, as well as on more general matters as needed.
- Set daily priorities for workload, and ensure a work product consistent with company objectives and practices.
- Provide recommendations, as needed, on transactional risk and document standardization; identify and analyse complex legal and procurement related issues, draft key documents, present clear recommendations and minimize risk while simultaneously supporting company strategy.
- As assigned, support complex transactions, including M&A.
- Partner with functional team members and Business Unit staff to deliver effective support and advice.
- Participate in the formulation of IT and Privacy related policies, procedures and practices, and assist in the interpretation, enforcement and management thereof. This includes, among other things, helping to develop and/or revise precedents and providing training to relevant stakeholders.
- Provide training to Legal team members and business teams regarding IT and Privacy issues and other matters from time to time.
- Manage outside counsel on matters in an efficient and effective manner
- Interface directly and independently with business leaders on matters related to IT and Privacy law and other areas of need.
- Manage workload independently and with limited immediate supervision.
- Keep informed of relevant laws and regulations and ensure that appropriate risk management strategies are in place.
Additional Website Text