Head of Procurement – North America
Direct Energy is a leading energy and energy-related services provider with nearly five million residential and commercial customers in North America. Direct Energy provides customers with choice and support in managing their energy costs through a portfolio of innovative products and services. A subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE: CNA), one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies, Direct Energy operates in 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 provinces in Canada. To learn more about Direct Energy, please visit www.directenergy.com.
- Strong and proven leadership skills ability to motivate and manage a team to deliver against the agreed organisational goals
- Strong engagement with stakeholders across the organisation up to and including regular interaction with the Business Unit leaders. Engagement with suppliers up to CEO level
- Ability to build a detailed market analysis of latest developments to drive structural improvements in total cost approach.
- Ability to challenge internal stakeholders through strong market knowledge and a view of latest trends and good practice
- Understand and deploy Procurement best practice into the Business Unit providing appropriate and timely advice to deliver the plan
- Good understanding of Supplier Management and ability to segment and deliver and appropriate supplier management strategy
- Ability to work collaboratively within relevant management teams bringing proactivity, expertise, challenge and support
- Develop talent across the organisation and create a strong succession plan within their team
- Ability to see beyond their own goals and deliver solutions that are appropriate for the group above those at purely the BU level
- Leading by example, providing motivation to Procurement staff
- Ability to prioritise, manage complexity effectively and provide clear leadership
- Ability to influence, motivate and inspire the wider organisation at all levels and play a mentoring role where required for senior management
- Ability to challenge industry norms and proactively seek out opportunities to deliver sustained improvements in performance
- Proven relationship-builder – internally and externally
- Build a One Procurement and One Centrica culture
- Coaching mind set rather than a directive mind-set
- Extensive direct industry relevant experience, along with a degree (or equivalent) or professional qualification.
- A strategic thinker, but also highly delivery focused.
- Strong communicator but in their own business and across the organisation with their colleagues
The Head of Procurement NA forms an important part of the NA Home and NA Business leadership teams and is the key procurement interface for these businesses. This position is also responsible for ensuring that NA delivers on its efficiency targets as a result of the strategic review. It also is a key part of the Global Procurement Leadership team delivering a single point of interface for Procurement within the North American businesses. The role has a significant team to deliver national requirements and liaises closely with colleagues across the group to provide additional services into the business units.
This role is responsible for the management of between £700m to £1bn 3rd Party expenditure annually across the NA business and supports the delivery of £112m cost reduction as part of the Strategic Review Programme to 2020. It manages an OPEX budget of approximately $41.2M and a CAPEX budget of approximately $10M.
The role is responsible for the ongoing development and management of a supplier base which meets the strategic needs of the business and is able to bring solutions and new opportunities to the Group.
- Key Part of Business Unit management teams contributing to the running of the BU and representing best practice within that business
- Through the delivery of a category management approach a segmentation strategy for suppliers within their category and an appropriate treatment strategy to suppliers within each segment.
- Ongoing understanding of new market technologies relevant to their business and proposing innovation that provides a step change opportunity.
- Delivering a Procurement service from within their own team and through the Procurement functions which operate globally
- Agreeing and delivering the efficiency/Procurement plan within the business
- Line management of a significant team of Procurement professionals delivering a service into the business unit across a spend universe of between £500m and £1bn per annum
- Leverage value and scale across the group where it exists ensuring that the Group wide benefit is the primary concern
- Proactively identifying new opportunities to drive value within the business unit, whilst aligning to their strategic plan
- Ensuring key Procurement colleagues providing a service into NA are suitably informed of requirements and have clear targets of delivery
- Delivery of an end to end supplier lifecycle management from Sourcing to Contract and Relationship management to maximise value in our relationships
- Manage a small number of key Centrica supplier relationships taking a group wide perspective where required
- Accountable for quality, security of supply, service and reputational risk
The Head of Procurement NA has a key role in understanding the business needs of the organisation and ensuring agreement of deliverables and confirming that the team is aligned to deliver these requirements. This position is responsible for the entire cradle to grave supplier relationships for NA including management of the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) requirements for a federal contractor.
They act as a reference point for best practice procurement providing appropriate advice and guidance for the North American business. This position is critical to ensure that DE’s brand is properly recognized in the Procurement community and serves as a Board member for the Institute of Supply Management as well as a sought after speaker on Procurement.
The role will support processes and controls aligned with Procurement’s vision and mission. Other responsibilities include: establishment of and management of DPO to ensure DE is maximizing its cash flow properly, management of transition to Unify platform by 2017, driving offshore/near shore strategy, and delivering of efficiency goals for DE.
This position must also lead, develop, and retain high quality leaders to deliver against all of the goals for NA.
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Additional Website Text