Employment Tax Manager
Direct Energy is a leading energy and energy-related services provider with nearly five million residential and commercial customers in North America. Direct Energy provides customers with choice and support in managing their energy costs through a portfolio of innovative products and services. A subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE: CNA), one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies, Direct Energy operates in 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 provinces in Canada. To learn more about Direct Energy, please visit www.directenergy.com.
This role works closely with the US Tax and the US Reward & HR Operations teams to ensure accurate and timely reporting of wages and payroll taxes in the US. This role is responsible for overseeing compliance with all Federal, State and Local employee related tax regulations to minimize risk exposure to Direct Energy.
With around 6,000 employees based in the US, the Employment Tax Manager will support the North American tax compliance agenda and reputational risk in relation to employment taxes connected with compensation, incentives, benefits, business expenses and short term business visitors.
The role requires a thorough knowledge of all technical and administrative aspects of the taxation of employment income and benefits. Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills are required, as the role requires communication at all levels of the organization, and the individual must generate respect and engagement.
- Educated to degree level or the equivalent by experience. Specific tax qualification (CPP) preferred.
- Extensive relevant experience, in a similar corporate environment or professional services firm.
- An excellent understanding of the operations of US and Canadian employment tax matters
- A good knowledge of employment taxation in all the countries in which Centrica has employing entities, especially North America
- Working knowledge of SAP and other payroll software systems an advantage (specifically Aon Hewitt)
- Proven ability to contribute to the design of an employment tax agenda
- Good commercial awareness
- An enquiring mind and a proactive approach
- Strong organisational skills and the ability to prioritise multiple tasks whilst working to deadlines and managing expectations
- A team player with the capacity to work collaboratively and closely with stakeholders across the business to ensure joined-up delivery
- Strong communication skills and the ability to clearly explain complex tax issues to a range of stakeholders
- Flexibility and the willingness to work as part of a team with a commitment to help and support as and when needed.
- A willingness to refresh processes as necessary to support compliance
The US Employment Tax Manager will have a strong understanding of the operations of US employment tax matters, ideally in an international context, and will provide advice and guidance as follows:
- North American Operations and payroll
- Manage day to day North American employment taxes queries from the US and Canadian business and its employees
- Advise and assist with periodic employment tax filings
- Support the team with raising and resolving issues with the IRS, CRA, and state jurisdictions relating to employment taxes
- Research and keep up to date with legislative changes and tax jurisdiction guidance in order to brief the business and key stakeholders appropriately
- Interact with North American Benefits Team to ensure compliance with latest legislation
- Provide general advice on the payment and reporting of employment taxes relating to benefits and incentives, via payroll in Canada and US
- Research and keep up to date with any statutory changes to the taxation of benefits
- Support the Head of Benefits with raising and resolving issues with tax authorities
- Team with the Global Tax Team on issues of global mobility and share plans
- Liaise with IRS or CRA to raise and resolve specific issues around expats and cross-border working
- Support the Global Reward Programmes team on where to find up to date and accurate advice from IRS and CRA
- Provide occasional support with drafting communications
- Work with Global Mobility Manager and external tax advisers to support the tax return compliance process for mobile employees as needed
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Additional Website Text