Sr. Forecasting Analyst
Direct Energy is a leading energy and energy-related services provider with nearly five million residential and commercial customers in North America. Direct Energy provides customers with choice and support in managing their energy costs through a portfolio of innovative products and services. A subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE: CNA), one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies, Direct Energy operates in 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 provinces in Canada. To learn more about Direct Energy, please visit www.directenergy.com.
The primary responsibility of the Sr. Forecasting Analyst will be analysis of data, systems, and processes related to creation and validation of electricity and natural gas load forecasts for the customer portfolio of Direct Energy’s retail business. The Sr. Forecasting Analyst will be part of a Houston, TX based team which is responsible for load forecasts throughout all major markets across US and Canada.
- Undergraduate degree in engineering, the basic sciences, or economics/business
- Experience in an analytical role, preferably in the energy sector
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong statistical, analytical, data management, and problem solving skills
- Strong Microsoft Excel and Access (or other database) skills
- Proven experience with Database Management Systems (Oracle, SQL Server) and manipulation of large data sets
- Advanced programming experience with SQL, VBA, and one or more analytical tools (SAS, R, Matlab,etc)
- Working knowledge of statistics and general forecasting methodologies
- Knowledge of retail electricity or gas markets is a plus
- Experience in retail load forecasting is a plus
- Data visualization experience
The team creates and manages both short-term and long-term electricity and gas forecasts composed from a diverse set of forecasting models which take into account key customer attributes, past energy consumption, and weather variables.
Duties include driving the entire end-to-end forecast process from analyzing diverse input data sets and market structures, understanding and improving load models, communicating changes with our business partners, and improving the process through settlement feedback. In addition, the Sr. Forecasting Analyst will be responsible for driving improvements to load forecast accuracy and process by leading projects that span multiple cross-functional groups. This job is a great opportunity to experience many facets of the retail and wholesale energy industry and we are seeking highly motivated talented individuals with advanced technical skills to meet these requirements.
- Employ custom systems in the preparation of retail energy forecasts, which become the baseline for commodity hedging and scheduling
- Recommend and implement appropriate forecasting strategies and methodologies through research and detailed analysis of load/consumption, business requirements, risk, and opportunities
- Traverse large and complex customer account, consumption, and forecast databases comfortably
- Synthesize information from complex data and processes into clear and concise analysis results with focus on actionable deliverables that improve load forecasting processes and accuracy
- Evaluate, recommend and implement solutions to streamline and automate data flows and processes related to data quality and load forecast accuracy
- Coordinate with various stakeholders (Retail Line of Business, Portfolio Mgmt, Trading, Risk, Credit) to drive implementation of technical enhancements and process improvements with the goal of improving short- and long-term forecast accuracy
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability