Direct Energy is a leading energy and energy-related services provider with nearly five million residential and commercial customers in North America. Direct Energy provides customers with choice and support in managing their energy costs through a portfolio of innovative products and services. A subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE: CNA), one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies, Direct Energy operates in 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 provinces in Canada. To learn more about Direct Energy, please visit www.directenergy.com.
Experienced commercial litigator (civil, or regulatory) who is accountable for risk management, dispute resolution, litigation and related matters for all Direct Energy lines of business in the U.S. and Canada, which may involve the management of (1) complex commercial claims; (2) employment disputes; (3) franchise litigation; (4) intellectual property litigation; (5) personal injury and property damage litigation; and (6) regulatory enforcement proceedings, among other areas of responsibility.
This candidate will join a dynamic team that collectively manages hundreds of pre-litigation and litigation matters, while responding to day-to-day legal needs of fast-paced business clients.
The ideal candidate will understand current and evolving litigation and regulatory issues in the U.S. and Canada, and will have a deep understanding of civil litigation issues/practices. Candidates must be client-focused, attentive to detail, business-minded, highly responsive, and able to offer sound legal advice within the commercial overlay of each scenario he or she faces on a day-to-day basis. The role calls for a highly-motivated individual with a direct, action-oriented approach to achieving legal and business objectives. He/she must be able to build credible relationships with a variety of constituencies, including other leaders across the company.
- Capable of independently providing legal services on a wide variety of litigation, dispute resolution, and regulatory matters.
- Participate as a member of a collaborative and empowered legal team that provides timely, efficient and effective legal support to all business units and functions.
- Strong communicator who translates legal matters into concise and credible messages.
- Superior listener who is persuasive, poised and articulate.
- Business maturity coupled with the highest integrity.
- True collaborator who maintains a balanced view of the business and can effectively deliver candid and honest assessments to clients and Legal advisors.
- Ensure that health, safety and environment objectives and targets are met with the Legal team in North America
- JD degree from ABA accredited law school.
- Licensed in at least one U.S. state
Seven to ten of directly relevant experience that includes a broad range of regulatory and commercial litigation exposure, preferably including complex commercial litigation, employment litigation, franchise litigation, intellectual property litigation, personal injury and property damage litigation, and dealings with government agencies.
Significant experience with courtroom advocacy, oral and written discovery, negotiation, and mediation.
Ability to independently manage a challenging workload in a fast paced work environment under the stress of deadlines.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills (including good listening skills).
Team player who is able to work collaboratively across functions, with all types of people, and at all levels including executive management.
Ability to provide sound legal advice that is responsive to the business needs.
A high degree of professionalism throughout all interactions.
Must have strong customer service orientation.
Knowledge of change management and implementing change
Ability to travel when necessary.
- Setting strategic priorities for litigation and risk-related issues, and ensuring consistency with company objectives and practices.
- Being actively involved in identifying and analysing complex legal risks and developing recommendations that meet the commercial and legal needs of the company along with positioning the company to avoid litigation.
- Acting as a project manager for emergency catastrophic events, including through the litigation stage of matters.
- Supporting M&A activity with respect to analysis of target’s litigation and regulatory dispute docket.
- Reviewing, revising and/or developing company policies and processes, to mitigate risk.
- Reviewing and analyzing terms of major standard and non-standard contracts for litigation impact.
- Actively and appropriately managing all aspects of pre-litigation disputes and litigation, and related provisioning, for our NA business units and functions.
- Actively and appropriately handling legal support for our North American business leaders and regulatory advisors on a wide variety of potential and active disputes.
- Partnering with BU Legal, Regulatory Affairs and Compliance leadership to deliver effective support and advice as a key team member in complex regulatory controversies.
- Providing training to Legal team members and business teams regarding legal and regulatory enforcement risks and other matters from time to time.
- Providing training to Legal team members and business teams regarding legal and regulatory risks
Additional Website Text