Commercial Manager, Distributed Energy, North America
Direct Energy is a leading energy and energy-related services provider with nearly five million residential and commercial customers in North America. Direct Energy provides customers with choice and support in managing their energy costs through a portfolio of innovative products and services. A subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE: CNA), one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies, Direct Energy operates in 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 provinces in Canada. To learn more about Direct Energy, please visit www.directenergy.com.
Commercial Manager - Distributed Energy, is a crucial member of the Commercial team for Centrica DE&P. Reporting directly to the Commercial Director, this role is expected to work broadly and collaboratively to achieve an exciting growth agenda to deliver distributed energy solutions for large energy users.
- University degree (law, finance, engineering preferred)
- MBA, JD, or equivalent preferred
- Strong B2B transactional experience including complex deal structuring and negotiation
- Proven track record of developing commercial projects and B2B deals
- Minimum 5-7 years industry experience - including but not limited to - mergers, acquisitions, commercial property, contract negotiation and management consultancy
- 3-5 years energy experience preferred
- The successful candidate should have a strong drive for continuous improvement, advanced commercial acumen and excellent analytical skills
- Confident and effective communicator with ability to build relationships and communicate complex messages to internal and external customers
- Excellent organization and planning to deliver strong results on time in pressure situations
- Knowledge of North American natural gas and power markets preferred
- Sound understanding of both commodity and non-commodity based energy products
- Strategic thinking and ability to identify market potential for significant business growth
- Quick study; capable of grasping the structure & intricacies of the energy business & markets
- Collaborative senior leader capable of building close working relationships with peer groups
- Deep experience working in a large/global company with matrix structure/relationships
- Resourcefulness and ability to work with limited supervision
- Flexibility and ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines
Skills and Competencies
- Negotiation and Influencing: Successful and adaptable approach to navigating multi-faceted, multi-party transactions, bringing together a wide array of stakeholders with differing interests.
- Credible visions of possibilities; can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
- Collaboration/Influencing: applies range of appropriate behaviors and influencing styles to gain the support, trust, and credibility of both internal and external sales clients and partners to effectively and efficiently achieve stated business objectives.
- Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Critical Thinking/Creative Thinking: Identify main issues, problems & opportunities; assess a range of situations & solutions, using analysis to draw appropriate conclusions and judgments.
- Thinks and talks strategy. Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective; is future oriented; can articulately paint.
Specifically, the role will be responsible for the successful structuring and negotiation of complex asset based and project based contracts for capital and service projects for large energy users, often across multiple products, sites, and partners on a deal by deal basis
- Services may include construction, installation, operation and maintenance of distributed energy sources and associated infrastructure such as battery storage, Combined Heat & Power and traditional gensets, solar PV, and other efficiency upgrades.
- Contracting and structuring methods may include financing such as in the form on Energy Performance Contracts and long term support such as Energy Services Agreements.
- It is expected that the role will work in close collaboration with our energy supply and wholesale teams to ensure we can offer the customer a truly turn-key energy project approach; including structured energy supply, demand response participation and renewable credit purchasing.
The Commercial Manager - Distributed Energy Will Lead Negotiations With Third-parties Including B2B Customers And Equipment Suppliers; And Offer Critical Partnership To Sales, Delivery And Other Functions
- Full ownership and accountability for Commercial terms on assigned deals, taking structuring and negotiations to successful completion and securing all associated internal approvals.
- Thought leadership on commercial policies, preferred deal terms and customary approaches for the North American Distributed Energy business.
- Work within a team of Commercial Managers to ensure full pipeline coverage.
- Participate in pipeline and strategy plan development and go-to-market propositions.
- Using key technical experience and specialisms to scope contracts and key clauses for delivery of a range of energy services, that can be delivered profitably and sustainably
- Marry the complex financial and commercial structures with complex technical energy generation and services specialisms
- Work with large industrial & commercial customers and project teams to present complex commercial & technical solutions to an uneducated audience
- Support the business units in the preparation and presentation of investment approval documents for internal and external use
- Provide project and program management of project and opportunity execution, in particular working alongside customers and subcontractors to execute transactions
- Monitor contract activity and contractual performances to ensure optimization.
- Work closely with wholesale, supply & trading functions in Direct Energy Business and with treasury, tax, finance, risk & legal functions in Centrica.
- Ensure company procedures are adhered to, including but not limited to Human Resources, Information Systems, Corporate Social Responsibility and Brand guidelines.
- Within the commercial team, the role definition will evolve, and the person will substantially influence the prioritization and shaping of the objectives going forward in parallel with the translation of the opportunity pipeline into real commercial opportunities.
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Additional Website Text