Lead Java Developer
British Gas is looking for a Lead Java Developer to join our Digital Team in Staines. You will be part of the British Gas Information Systems (IS) Digital team which delivers British Gas’ customer facing web site www.britishgas.co.uk.
You will join our Web Transformation programme which is redeveloping the web site, moving from a server-side page architecture to client-side functional web pages that access data via a suite of server-side API endpoints.
A typical day for the Lead Java Developer in the Digital team would see them engaged in a variety of activities. You will lead the Java architecture activity and carry out development work to implement server side APIs in a new Microservices architecture with our existing Java development team.
The team will expect the following from the Lead developer:
- Provides a highly proficient knowledge of Java technologies, open source Java development and Java web architectures.
- Takes ownership of the new Web Transformation server-side Java technology and code architecture.
- Leads and directs Java developers in the activities and approach to migrate existing API endpoints from the legacy Java platform to the new platform.
- Works with the server-side development team and the Lead Digital Architect to own and continue to develop the Java architecture roadmap to align with the overall Digital technology roadmap.
- Works co-operatively with existing colleagues to continue to develop the Java architecture and own it going forward.
- Is knowledge about latest trends and technologies and communicates with colleagues regarding how these might support the team objectives.
- Desire to learn and enhance skills to support the team.
- Attends & often leads the daily standups for the technical workstreams they are responsible for.
- Recommends system solutions options clearly demonstrating the advantages and disadvantages of different development approaches.
- Contributes to team meetings & troubleshoots development and production Java problems across the Digital environments.
- Contributes to team best practices as part of a model of continuous improvement.
- Troubleshoots development and production problems across the technically diverse Digital platforms
- Coaches and supports other team members, and learns from them in turn.
- Asks for help when necessary and reaches out into 3rd parties, vendors and the Open Source community to further the ends of the team
- Actively works to improve the security posture of the application.
The ideal candidate will be a strong team player who displays a can-do attitude when working with the varied team customers. A key characteristic of the individual will be a good aptitude for work in this new technology area - which includes adaptability and courage.
- Background in software development and technology for public facing web sites.
- Extensive experience of Java development using Open Source Java components and frameworks.
- Detailed knowledge of the use of REST APIs for web technology, OAuth 2.0 and associated authentication and authorisation flows.
- Experience of Java Microservices in a production application with Spring Cloud, Spring Boot.
- Beneficial to have knowledge of Netflix cloud OSS, Cloud Foundry, Docker, and other Microservices-related components.
- Developing for Web security and performance.
- Microservices - capacity management and planning in a multi-node production estate.
- Proven leadership experience – leading and owning application architecture and roadmap.
- Experience of product management, in particular determination of vision, objectives, goals and success criteria.
- Experience organising and performing prototyping and proof of concepts
- Experience with automated configuration management, deployment and testing solutions
- Experience working with IS Operations and Infrastructure teams to introduce change to the live estate.
- Proven ability to provide leadership and mentoring to others..
- Ability to identify & take opportunities to improve productivity within the team.
- Experience sharing knowledge and working in a multi-disciplinary team, working well with colleagues to reach consensus and agree a common understanding and approach.
British Gas, part of the Centrica Group, supplies gas and electricity to UK residential and business customers, provides central heating and gas appliance installation and maintenance and low-carbon and energy efficient products and services.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email Alaister.Mortlock@britishgas.co.uk typing 'Update required: Lead Java Developer R9909023' in the subject title
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com