IT Applications Manager
Direct Energy is a leading energy and energy-related services provider with nearly five million residential and commercial customers in North America. Direct Energy provides customers with choice and support in managing their energy costs through a portfolio of innovative products and services. A subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE: CNA), one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies, Direct Energy operates in 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 provinces in Canada. To learn more about Direct Energy, please visit www.directenergy.com.
Seeking a technically strong application manager/architect with great communication and stakeholder management skills to lead a mixed group of direct employees and contracted on and off-shore developers for support, development and large scale projects. This individual will own the application platform supporting the Direct Energy Business Sales platform. This platform is rapidly growing and expanding scope so focus will be manage operations while assisting in architecting and leading development changes to the platform to allow for platform growth into new markets and commodities. Individual will oversee the building of detailed technical specifications and designs, code development and test planning for complex web-based applications. Meets applicable project schedules while ensuring overall application system integrity. Maintains ownership of 1 or more business systems and is accountable for the development of enhancements and general support those systems. Communicates regularly with business stakeholders, independently tracking and hosting meetings reporting on enhancement development, support work and may also be called on to oversee projects associated with owned system(s).
- 10+ years of experience with technical project implementations in leadership capacity
- Ability to strategize, plan and implement change
- Outstanding ability in managing and monitoring IT operations
- Possess critical thinking and investigation skills
- Ability to foster effective working relationships and build consensus
- Ability to research and interpret relevant regulations, guidelines, and standards
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written are required.
- Essential qualities include organizational skills, effective time management, and the ability to work independently, attention to detail, positive client service attitude, the ability to multi-task, and the ability to be flexible with changing priorities. Demonstrated ability to work well in and adapt to a team, take direction, follow stated processes.
- Strong hands-on management capabilities, leadership, coaching, and people management skills
- Possess a strong business and customer/client focus.
- Ability to interact and influence variety of users and senior management
- Experience with deep understanding of IT Applications and Technology
- Very strong collaboration, negotiation, and influence capability required
- 5+ years of software development experience with ASP.NET, C#, Web Services
- 5+ years of experience with supporting technologies including SQL Server 2005/2008, IIS and XML
- Demonstrated proficiency with relational database systems, database normalization and SQL querying
- Knowledge of MVC Frameworks, ORM, web services and web standards
- Expert-level with MVC 4+, design patterns, and modern architectural trends
- Strong experience with WCF
- Familiarity with Agile development methodologies
- Experience with WCF, jQuery, source code control and automated test and build tools is desirable
- Experience with deregulated power and/or gas information systems and processes is desirable
- Design and development of MS SQL Server database (2008/2012) objects and procedural code supporting various custom and 3rd party applications, including writing Stored Procedures, Functions, Triggers
- Develop reports using SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
- Create Extract, Transform and Load (ETL) processes
- Optimize and tune MS SQL databases and queries and perform database normalization
- Responsible for managing the support of the Production business applications including system modifications and maintenance
- Responsible for business relationships, application performance, and the identification and delivery of new and existing application services to meet the business users known and emerging needs.
- Communicate with all functional disciplines and gather their business requirements for IT applications.
- Translate the business requirements into IT requirements and manage the resulting demand according to the priorities defined by the business and IT strategies.
- Review/ update the application strategy for technical applications and contribute to IT strategy.
- Manage the portfolio of applications and the life-cycles of the individual engineering and quality applications, including project roadmap and change management.
- Identify solutions and providers, define sourcing approach and manage the providers.
- Contribute to the solution design for applications (in collaboration with external partners and client's IT).
- Provide regular reporting on performance and cost.
- Lead application support and solution delivery resources.
- Define, plan, and direct the execution of high priority applications projects, while balancing the competing demands of scope, time, cost, quality, resources, and risk.
- Responsible for establishing priorities and schedules for business application projects
- Manage the budget for applications and contribute to the annual planning cycle.
- Serve as senior point of contact with key business sponsor and users in business parlance
- Able to manage to contribute and lead strategic application planning and architecture
- Work with business partners directly and translate technical solutions into plain English
- Provide technical suggestions and recommendations to our business partners for process and system improvements
- Knowledge/experience in the energy marketing/utility industry a plus.
- Fast-paced project development and unit testing based on design documents and verbal instructions
- Mentor more junior developers on best practices
- Ensure creation of quality end-user and technical documentation
- Support and troubleshoot application issues and document solutions
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability