Counsel, Corporate Services
Direct Energy is a leading energy and energy-related services provider with nearly five million residential and commercial customers in North America. Direct Energy provides customers with choice and support in managing their energy costs through a portfolio of innovative products and services. A subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE: CNA), one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies, Direct Energy operates in 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 provinces in Canada. To learn more about Direct Energy, please visit www.directenergy.com.
Provider of strategic legal counsel and direction to various stakeholders of the Corporate Services team on a wide variety of issues and matters relating to corporate law and entity maintenance, intellectual property, and outside counsel engagement. A key player in overseeing the corporate governance function for a large portfolio of North American subsidiaries.
The environmental demands described here are representative of those that an employee will experience while successfully performing the essential responsibilities and functions of the job and are not meant to be all inclusive:
- Generally fast-paced office environment with occasional periods of high stress and tension.
- Moderate noise (open office environment with computers and printers, light traffic, and the sound of communications by others).
- Function in a workplace that is usually moderately quiet but that can be noisy at times.
- Exposure to the full range of Company work environments (including outdoors), project worksites, and offsite work locations, on an as needed basis.
- Normal hazards associated with business travel
- Ability to travel when necessary
- Highly reliable, motivated, and organized individual.
- Must be solutions-oriented and have a track record that demonstrates excellent judgment
- Ability to multi-task effectively in a fast-paced open-office environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communicator comfortable interfacing with employees at all levels.
- Able to assist with overseeing work of paraprofessionals on the Corporate Services team
- True collaborator who maintains a balanced view of the business and can effectively deliver candid and honest assessments to clients and Legal supervisors.
- Team player who is able to work collaboratively across functions, with all types of people, and at all levels including executive management.
- Ability to provide sound legal advice that is responsive to the business needs.
- Must have strong customer service orientation.
- Superior listener who is persuasive, poised and articulate.
- Business maturity coupled with the highest integrity.
- Set daily priorities for workload, and ensure a work product consistent with company objectives and practices.
- Manage workload independently and with limited immediate supervision.
JD degree from ABA accredited law school
Licensed in at least one US state
At least five (5) – seven (7) years directly relevant experience that includes handling general corporate legal matters with significant experience drafting and preparing corporate governance and entity maintenance documents.
Proven track record of independently managing a challenging workload in a fast paced work environment under the stress of deadlines with a demonstrated ability to work cohesively with others.
Experience with intellectual property management, mergers & acquisitions and entity rationalizations a plus.
Unless reasonable accommodations can be made, while performing this job the staff member shall be required to:
- Ability to work extended hours when necessary to meet deadlines or other Company needs.
- Communicate by phone and in person, as well as to make presentations to all levels of the organization.
- Communicate effectively using proper grammar and vocabulary.
- Ability to operate computers, telephones and/or other office equipment.
- Read for extensive periods of time in various mediums and formats.
- Ability to travel, as necessary
The job holder will be required to manage a varied work load. Key areas will include:
- Maintains budget discipline while overseeing the work of outside counsel as needed.
- May be occasionally assigned to complex business transactions in the US and Canada.
- Provide practical and timely substantive advice and counsel on wide-ranging corporate law, intellectual property, governance and entity maintenance issues.
- Review and draft corporate resolutions, contracts and other documents.
- Draft agendas, organize presentations, draft minutes and perform other Corporate Secretary functions for Board and/or Committee meetings.
- Draft, review and update internal and external corporate governance processes, procedures, policies, documents and communications.
- Participate in and develop presentations, training programs, and materials for internal teams in regard to corporate governance principles, and general corporate and intellectual property legal advice.
- Maintain excellent working relationships with business partners to ensure that their legal and business needs are satisfied.
- Assistance with M&A activities such as providing counsel on deal structure, facilitating due diligence, and managing post-close record and entity integration.
- Maintain current knowledge of the laws and regulations governing the Company’s operations.
- Recommend appropriate approaches to mitigate and solution complex
- business, compliance and other risks.
- Oversee law firm engagement process and work with outside counsel as necessary in a budget-minded manner.
- Work closely with global team on patent and intellectual property matters such as trademark and patent prosecution and portfolio management; copyrights; domain names, licensing and emerging technologies.
- Develop and implement entity rationalization strategy for efficient, streamlined operations and provide a significant amount of project management support for such strategy.A high degree of professionalism throughout all interactions.
Additional Website Text