We’re developing solutions for controlling and integrating everything in the home. We're looking to connect heating, smart plugs, light bulbs, sensors and more.
In the Abstraction Team, you will mainly develop code that runs on the Hive Hub that lives in hundreds of thousands of people's homes across the UK and North America. You will develop the connectivity layer between an ever growing number of devices and our cloud platform.
On a day to day basis, among other things you will:
- Work in an agile environment with a dynamic and highly skilled team
- Develop support for new devices and device types
- Design and implement support for various radio and IP based protocols
- Develop 'synthetic devices' - combining multiple ordinary devices into something unique to the home
- Write and maintain a suite of automated tests that ensure the robustness of our system
In the longer term, you’ll be:
- Involved in making the architectural decisions that ensure that we develop the right solutions
- Given the opportunity to conduct research into new product areas
To be brilliant in this role:
We are looking for an experienced object-oriented developer who wants to work in home automation. Not only do you have a passion for software development and a solid sense of quality and polish, but as an engineer you demonstrate a genuine interest in understanding the problem domain, in developing a robust user experience and in working with a diverse team of specialists to deliver a flagship consumer product.
You should be;
- Very experienced with an object orientated language, design patterns, and multi-threaded development, and comfortable working on Unix-like systems
- A team player who likes to discuss solutions and ideas
- Motivated by challenges and new opportunities
- Able to architect and design flexible and reusable components, features and systems
It will help if you have
- Commercial experience with Java SE and Java build tools such as Maven and Gradle
- Commercial experience with Git or other DVCSs
- Commercial experience with Linux environments
- Commercial experience with test frameworks at different levels of integration
- Experience of working in an agile environment
- Experience in designing robust, highly scalable systems
- Experience with radio and IP based protocols
- Familiarity with NoSQL databases and cloud computing infrastructure
I’m Carla (firstname.lastname@example.org) the Resourcing Partner for Connected home. I’m excited to learn about your background and how you can become part of our market leading team in Connected home.
This is a fantastic opportunity to be part of an innovative business that is leading the connected home market. Hive is a British Gas innovation that creates connected products designed to give people the control they want for their homes remotely. The first product Hive Active Heating launched in 2013 enabling people to control their heating and hot water from their mobile, tablet and laptop, followed by the next generation Hive thermostat in 2015.
This year Hive has launched a family of complementary connected home products including SmartPlugs, sensors and soon to be released lights
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button
Agencies: British Gas operates a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.