Commercial/Contractor manager for the Contractor Management function of Distributed Energy UK & Ireland operations for industrial and commercial customers. Manages a team of contractor analysts to deliver industry leading operational contractor management & supply chain performance. Create the culture and processes to manage HSE, protect margin and deliver projects on time, championing business values. The successful person will be accountable for managing a portfolio of strategic supplier partner relationships and a number of tactical suppliers across various categories.
- Establish new Contractor management team: Build a new operational contractor analysis & performance team within the overall Contractor management Function of UK DE&I.
- Specifications: Define installation and O&M project resource requirements for £100m+ per annum of projects.
- Operational management: Manage the HSE, quality and delivery performance of contractors and suppliers working closely with Operational and Business Services teams
- Main interface with Group procurement and define support model: Work with Group procurement to define required Group Function support for Contractor Management team (e.g. Market Insight, supplier lists, framework agreements, call-off contracts, strategic global purchasing contracts, Procurement Compliance)
- Contract negotiation: Support the negotiation of contracts with installation & O&M contractors and suppliers of energy efficiency and energy generation hardware working alongside Group Procurement
- Commercial leadership: Understand contractor business models and create approaches to manage cost and secure delivery. Design and deliver innovative commercial models that drives value, safety, quality and delivery for dynamic market conditions.
- Governance & reporting: Establish strong governance & processes to monitor contractor performance and provide feedback to drive continuous improvement in performance
- Relationships: Establish strong senior relationships with key contractor suppliers. Establish strong relationships with senior and peers in other functional teams. Establish joint venture opportunities that supports the growth objective within Distributed Energy.
- Standards: Ensure all contracting relationships comply with Group Procurement guidance, and Financial Crime and Reporting
- Systems: Put in place a robust contractor management system to manage contracts that are aligned to the customer management systems. Ensure PMO processes are aligned to procurement requirements.
Health & Safety:
- Develop plans and culture of continuous improvement in the HSE performance of contractors
- Responsible for meeting all relevant health, safety, environmental & associated legal requirements for third party contractors/suppliers and ensure the team complies with these
- Responsible for creating a proactive culture of continuous improvement around delivery, health and safety and quality within your team and integrating high performance in contractor management.
Values & Team management:
- Strive for excellence in customer service throughout the project lifecycle and build a customer centric approach in your team’s behaviours
- Leverage expertise within the business through fostering an information sharing culture which openly and proactively shares best practice
- Develop an inclusive and engaged team environment where people feel supported and their culture and personal circumstances are taken into account.
- Recruit, when required, people into your team with the capabilities and behaviours required to perform the job and to deliver the customer service and health and safety standards of our business. Encourage diversity throughout the recruitment process
- Adhere to the Competence and Training framework policy and procedures to ensure each team member attains and maintains the required competency level to perform their role
- Develop training programmes and career development pathways for team members
- Apply Centrica and Distributed Energy & Power values in all day to day activities and maintain a passion for delivering great customer service.
- Strong leadership and people management
- Outstanding commercial acumen so as to achieve the best commercial outcomes in negotiation
- Advanced-level communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to enable non-technical stakeholders to understand the implications of complex technical issues
- Capable of facilitating and influencing strategic debate
- A proactive, collaborative self-starter who can take people with them, working across business units and disciplines.
- Strong business acumen and effective decision making that challenge the status quo and deliver business goals.
- The ability influence and build trusted relationships at all levels of the business.
- Ability to manage, lead and drive change with the capacity to work flexibly and calmly under pressure.
- Sound written and presentation skills as well as excellent general communications skills
- Knowledge and understanding of the business’s key performance indicators and operational ways of working
- Numerate with analysis and reporting skills.
- Process centric and aptitude to learn
- Educated to degree level - preferable
- Extensive experience in procurement and contractor management
- Excellent commercial negotiation skills
- Knowledge of buying from both manufacturers and contractors
- Good knowledge of energy industry
- Commercial legal skills and the ability to read, understand and summarise client and supplier contracts.
- Experience of global procurement especially Europe, US, China, India and SE Asia
- Health and Safety exemplar, who prioritises the safety of themselves and others, and understands the leadership behaviours required to influence others in this area
- In depth understanding of all legislation, regulations, working practices and other codes of practice relevant to the role
- Understanding of the commercial aims and objectives of Distributed Energy
- Experience of working to tight deadlines and managing simultaneous projects in a fast moving delivery focused environment
Centrica plc, a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica's vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximise value to shareholders. Centrica's brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button,
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email Andy.Malyon@centrica.com typing Commercial/Contractor Manager R9909406 in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.