Commodity Trading Audit Lead/Auditor
Centrica’s commodity trading and asset backed optimisation activities are experiencing growth across the Group. In the UK/Europe, this includes developing a diversified and broad range of proprietary trading products, as well as building a global LNG portfolio. Additionally, the acquisition of Neas Energy, subject to EC regulatory approval, will significantly enhance the route-to-market offer of asset management and trading optimisation services across 18 European countries. Asset backed gas and power optimisation activity in North America is also growing within Direct Energy, and the forthcoming deregulation of the Irish electricity market is expected to create asset optimisation opportunities in Ireland where Bord Gais operate.
In response to this growth, the Centrica group internal audit function are seeking to build on their existing trading and optimisation experience through the addition of individuals who possess substantial first-hand experience of working within a commodity trading environment.
Prior auditing experience is not required, nor is a formal accounting qualification
- Location – primarily Windsor, with regular travel to Central London (Park House), as well as occasional travel to other global sites including Texas and New Jersey.
- This role could also be based in Houston, Texas with travel to New Jersey, and occasional travel to the UK.
Our Lead Auditors/Auditors will
- Plan, perform, supervise and review audit activities and deliverables across the full lifecycle of the assignments, in line with defined methodologies and standards
- Work closely with key business stakeholders to gain an understanding of Centrica’s trading risk profile and of the core processes and controls in place to manage this
- Engage and challenge senior management and help to shape the trading control environment
- Report with commercial insight to drive forward maximum operational improvement
- Work with management, including the trading Risk and Controls/ Compliance teams to provide coordinated assurance on key risks and governance of key projects and critical change activities
- Through traditional training methods and hands-on experience, develop a thorough understanding of Centrica’s trading operations in their entirety, in order to add real value to management teams
- Build a stakeholder network within Centrica to facilitate their next career steps either within Internal Audit or in the wider Centrica trading businesses
- It is anticipated that whilst the successful applicant(s) will spend the vast majority of their time on trading based audit assignments, opportunities to work on audits covering other areas of the Centrica group will be available.
The candidates we are seeking must be highly ambitious with a genuine passion for broadening their knowledge of auditing, risk management and control. Other skills that will set candidates apart from their peers include
- Deep understanding of commodity trading gained through roles in, for example, product control, market or operational risk, trading/data analytics, trading compliance
- Understanding of both physical and financial trading and derivatives, including complex long-term structured contracts
- Demonstrated competencies in the areas of stewardship, strategic thinking, operational excellence and driving change
- Have a clear and succinct communication, presentation and report writing style
- Demonstrable track record of building strong, effective and influential relationships with senior stakeholders, and possesses the gravitas and business understanding to operate with credibility and lead challenging conversations to achieve desired outcomes
- Collate and analyse evidence to identify root causes, support appropriate decisions, and see the big picture
- A team player and innovative thinker with attention to detail and the ability to influence a diverse group of stakeholders.
Additional Website Text