DE1691 Manager, Operational Risk
Direct Energy generates electricity and produces natural gas, as well as selling commodities and servicing the energy needs of homes and businesses in 46 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 Canadian provinces. We also help our customers save on their energy bills through energy efficiency. Located in over 50 locations, our team of 6,000+ employees serve over 6 million residential and commercial customer relationships.
Direct Energy is a subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE:CNA), one of the world's leading integrated energy companies with over 20 million customers and 34,000 employees worldwide. We are committed to being the most recommended energy and services provider and leading the transition to a low carbon society.
Education required to competently achieve responsibilities:
- Degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, Mathematics, or Economics
- Master’s degree, with analytical focus preferred
Work experience required to competently achieve responsibilities:
- 7+ years of professional experience with energy (Retail | Trading | Risk | Controls)
- 2+ years as team lead or project lead
- Highly developed computer skills focused, particularly using Excel, Power Point, and Data Querying
- High level of attention to detail combined with the ability to critically determine root cause analyses
- Ability to problem solve in abstract without any supervision or specific leads
- Effective team building either as project lead or team lead
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written
- Proven history of writing executive summaries articulating complex issues into actionable recommendations or ideas
- Strong liaison skills focused on generating consensus
- Strong time management skills
- Ability to function in a fast pace, rapidly changing environment
The Manager – Operational Risk is primarily focused on the reduction of Operational Risk within the Financial Risk Management activities through ensuring a robust control framework is identified, operationalized, and maintained. Additionally, this role will lead and collaborate with front and middle office personnel to identify opportunities for improved control capabilities and business throughput. Finally, this role will collaborate in assuring policy, processes, products, and functions meet and exceed Operational Readiness standards.
- Ensuring that operational/process risk within Direct Energy Business is reduced to the maximum extent possible, with a particular focus on key trading-related processes and the hedging of gas and power.
- Ensure that an appropriate operational risk policy framework is in place and complied with in order to limit operational risk, in particular around rogue trading activity
- Segregation of duty is maintained at all times between Front Office and Middle/Back Offices
- Key operational risk indicators are monitored and escalated as warranted
- Sufficient process documentation and clear accountabilities are maintained for all key North America Business (NAB) processes including processes that impact the representation and hedging of energy risks including those from North America Home
- Process failures are investigated, root-caused, documented and identified actions are tracked
- Lead and advise on possible changes to NAB processes and structured transactions focused on co-optimizing the control framework with commercial needs
- Ensure future ETRM platforms address specific Risk (North America) needs, particularly focused on optimal Operational Readiness
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability