Global Category Manager
Global Category Managers - The Overview
Centrica is changing. To combat market forces we are embarking on a large-scale transformation across our entire organisation to enable us to leverage our existing capabilities, modernise our business through digitalisation and grow internationally. Procurement is at the very heart of this and we are looking for creative, curious and ambitious individuals to become part of our team in order to propel us into the future.
Our CEO, Iain Conn, has set our newly appointed CPO, Bilal Shaykh, an exciting challenge to deliver £450m of the groups £750m cost challenge by 2020. This gives us an opportunity to truly deliver value back to the bottom line of our FTSE 100 organisation in the short-term, whilst at the same time, gaining a strategic seat at the table where we can raise our profile and look at how we move towards a reputation for value creation.
We are looking for leaders and future leaders who will be able bring their current knowledge to help us create, build and lead us into a global procurement function.
- Location: Windsor/ Staines / Leicester
- Travel will be required
- Excellent package value and benefits (depending on experience)
Global Category Managers - Our Vision
We are setting ourselves up for success by bringing together 7 disparate international teams and uniting them with a global framework yet maintaining that all important local delivery. Our internal team is already award-winning, which is owed to a relentless focus on the development of our people, and we are looking to extend this by finding experienced talent outside of our business who can bring their knowledge of category management, working across cultures and delivering innovation through procurement. In return, we can offer some amazing opportunities to enable you to develop your potential and fast-track your career.
End-to-end Category Management:
- Provide a deep knowledge and understanding of end to end Category Management within relevant categories. Ensures value is maximised from the contract negotiation through the whole life cycle of the category.
- Proactively develops a robust strategic sourcing strategy for use within specific categories which delivers breakthrough results and year on year continuous improvement.
External Market Expertise:
- Understand the category and provide leadership and insight for the business on all aspects of market dynamics, regulatory framework, suppliers and technical innovations.
- Source and procure a range of goods and services across one or more expenditure categories, ensuring optimum value for money within defined service and quality criteria.
- Draft, negotiate and obtain agreement to commercial contracts ensuring that operational and commercial risks to business are fully understood and minimised.
On-going improvements & delivery of value add:
- Challenge business plans where alternate opportunities exist to deliver higher value outcomes, ensuring all options have been duly evaluated.
- Within the Category Management framework, develop, build and maintain supplier engagement through appraisal and performance monitoring, value analysis, continuous improvement, supplier / supply base development, compliance and demand management.
People Management (where applicable):
- Recruit, select, train, develop, manage and lead staff to maintain a high level of commitment in a team-working environment that allows full development and use of individual competencies.
- Develop close working relationships with Procurement teams, senior stakeholders and third party Centrica suppliers.
- Management and delivery of commercial arrangement up to a lifetime value of £1bn "
Global Category Manager - The Person
Centrica is a fantastic organisation to join and grow with. In Procurement alone we are working on developing oil wells in the North Sea, sourcing air-conditioning units, outsourcing business processes, developing novel technology platforms for the connected homes of the future and working creatively on campaigns to market well-known brands like British Gas. We are also keen on developing our top talent through international assignments to ensure we have the right pipeline of talent to continue to stretch ourselves as we mature even further.
To succeed in our team you will need to demonstrate the following:
- Degree educated or equivalent and/or appropriate experience in work experience
- Membership of CIPS (or equivalent)
- Evidence of managing a category through the whole life cycle, ensuring the value created in the negotiation stage hits the bottom line
- Experience of working in a global matrix organisation
- Confidence and credibility with excellent communication and relationship management skills with the ability to engage and influence senior level stakeholders
- Resilient, can demonstrate strength in adversity and comfort in ambiguity
- Enjoys working in a fast paced changing environment
- Sustains personal energy, self-motivation and productivity and encourages good resilience in others
- Identifies and raises opportunities and/or challenges
- Thoughtfully tenacious against opposition....but accepts and supports decisions once made
- Actively removes complexity
- Self aware, knows own strengths and limitations
Centrica plc, a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica's vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximise value to shareholders. Centrica's brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button,
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email firstname.lastname@example.org typing Global Category Manager CEN30396 in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.