CEN30348 Head of Ethics & Compliance Operations
This role has a critical significance managing the design, implementation and maintenance of the structures comprising the new Ethics & Compliance programme, which will be in a concentrated phase of designing, building and implementing for the next 3-5 years in order to create a fit for purpose Ethics & Compliance programme for the Centrica. The role is a direct report of the GECO and a member of the E&C Leadership team.
The role also:
- Directly supports the Centrica Ethics & Compliance Committee by attending with the Group Ethics & Compliance Officer, ,taking minutes at the same, designing the forward agenda and overseeing the preparation of the agenda and papers for each meeting.
- Maintains the group wide whistleblowing line (Speak Up) and team supporting the activity flowing from the line. Coordinates and manages investigations across the group.
- Manages the coordination and flow of all E&C reporting across all teams (approx. 220 reporting requirements annually) up to and including the CEC and Board.
- Provides a periodic “7 elements assessment” of the Ethics & Compliance program.
- Coordinates and manages all ethics & compliance projects within Centrica.
- Maintains an independent group wide view of all ethics & compliance risks.
- Designs, implements, maintains group wide ethics & compliance systems (conflicts registers, annual certification, gifts/entertainment registers).
- Maintaining the Centrica Business Principles document and supporting processes.
- Designs, implements and maintains a group wide E&C communications plan.
- Designs, implements, coordinates global E&C training on all matters.
- Designs, manages and maintains the Centrica Group Policy governance.
- Assist in designing, building, enhancing and maintaining the Centrica Group Ethics and Compliance program.
- Implement expectations for effective Centrica ethics and compliance programme elements, including frameworks, policies, standards, processes, systems, tools, training and communications.
- Coordinates the management of investigations across the group, managing a virtual team of investigators taken from all appropriate functions. This includes intake, triage, investigation process, output, reporting, communication and reporting.
Hold an independent view of the significant ethics and compliance risks faced by Centrica across the group, where those risks could materialise and the appropriate responses to be applied.
- Oversee the operation of the Speak Up employee helpline and provide an internal resource with which concerned parties may communicate after other formal channels and resources have been exhausted.
- Conduct independent monitoring, reviews and investigations into ethics and compliance matters as required on a day to day basis.
- Ensure that the ethics & compliance team develops recommendations for corrective action based on investigations, reviews and work with functional area management to develop implementation plans and schedules for corrective action
- Maintain current knowledge of laws and regulations, keeping abreast of projected and recent changes.
Provide guidance to senior management, staff, and employees on ethics and compliance.
- Monitor, and as necessary, coordinate compliance activities of other departments and functions to remain abreast of the status of all compliance activities.
- Work with Human Resources, the E&C LT and others as appropriate to implement an effective ethics and compliance training program for the business, including appropriate introductory training for new employees as well as ongoing training for all employees and managers as well as appropriate training on all ethics and compliance risks.
- Management of Ethics and Compliance Operations team. This includes talent management and succession planning, training and development, building appropriate capability and ensuring the function is appropriately structured to deliver on its remit.Provide answers to employee questions about company policies, procedures and standards and escalate to Compliance management or other functional areas as needed
- Track and report current status of ethics & compliance education, policy acknowledgements, complaints, investigations, inquiries and other metrics as required.
- Consulting with the E&C LT to build a function wide competence, capability and training plan for all ethics & compliance staff.
- Ensure all ethics & compliance procedures are appropriately documented
- Deputise for the Group Ethics & Compliance Officer as required
- Leadership and strategic development skills.
- Creates openness and a collaborative environment.
- Strong negotiating, influencing and communication skills to command professional respect at the highest levels.
- Developing close ‘trusted adviser’ relationships with key business leaders.
- Wins hearts and minds across the business and inspires others to act for the betterment of our business and its customers.
- Clear understanding and absolute adherence to ethical principles, company values, Business Principles and policies.
- Superior oral and written communication skills with a strong detail and analytical skills and the ability to identify and explain complex compliance requirements and convey difficult messages to all stakeholders.
- Track record of collaborating with senior leaders to help facilitate their role in ensuring the effectiveness of the ethics and compliance program.
- Managing complexity in a fast moving environment.
- Supports but also challenges for improvement.
- Makes the necessary connections to help improve the organisation’s performance Personally accountable.
- Confronts difficult situations with sensitivity.
- Pragmatic, commercial, realistic and straightforward.
- Demonstrates expediency and adaptability.
- Treats others fairly and equally.
- Action orientated and knows what works.
- Speaks the ‘truth’.
- Demonstrates technical know how.
- Direct experience and knowledge of change management and implementing change Direct experience and knowledge of project management and project delivery Bachelor’s Degree or beyond from accredited four-year university or college (or equivalent experience).
- Experience of building, enhancing and maintaining an ethics & Compliance programme at a large company (preferably a multi-national FTSE 50 company).
- Substantial experience of ethics and compliance management and leadership, including people development, project management and change management.
- Significant, directly relevant professional experience in ethics & compliance law firm or regulatory agency, relevant compliance, regulatory, legal, risk, auditing or internal controls work experience.
Centrica plc, a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica's vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximise value to shareholders. Centrica's brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button,
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email email@example.com typing CEN30348 Head of Ethics & Compliance Operations R9990021 in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com