Head of Regulatory Affairs, EMT
The Regulatory Affairs function understands, provides advice and influences the various regulatory components of the energy sectors so that Centrica businesses can work effectively within it.
Within this function the Director, Wholesale Gas and Energy Trading is responsible for regulatory policy relating to wholesale gas markets, energy trading, marketing, origination and related financial policy.
Specific responsibilities will include (among others):
- Gas network charging. The team is responsible for:
- Ensuring changes to GB gas transmission charging are in the interests of Centrica, including entry/exit capacity and gas transmission interface arrangements.
- Market entry and infrastructure access. The responsibilities of this team include regulatory and policy issues such as:
- Facilitating new traded market entry (licensing and other regulatory requirements)
- Access to gas networks, interconnectors, gas storage & LNG regasification capacity
- Gas balancing and other relevant wholesale gas market rules
- Energy trading regulations. These responsibilities include developing policy positions and providing strategic direction on issues relating to emerging and existing energy trading regulations, including:
- MiFID II
- Secure & Promote
- Completing regulatory due diligence for potential transactions, new deals and acquisitions by EM&T
- Influencing Centrica policy development on wider regulatory issues relating to Centrica’s energy trading and wholesale gas market activities. This includes:
- Leading on regulatory policy issues relating to relevant EU legislation and Network Codes (e.g. balancing & settlement, supply security, etc.)
- Competencies Creates and maintains a collaborative and empowered team that provides timely, efficient and effective support to the UK & I region.
- Excellent communicator who leads our engagement on relevant policy issues, with regulators and other external stakeholders, with concise and credible messages and provides a clear vision of our direction of travel in this space.
- Superior listener who is persuasive, poised and articulate.
- True collaborator who maintains a balanced view of the business and can effectively push back on all levels of management, providing candid and honest assessments whilst commanding the confidence of internal business leaders.
- Ability to think and act strategically, identifying regulatory risks and opportunities and managing these effectively.
- Demonstrable leadership ability – ability to manage a high performing team with a true focus on “value added” and ability to direct and motivate others
- Pro-active and energetic style which inspires confidence in colleagues and seeks to continually improve, seek out new ways to deliver value and to support the business objectives
- Comfortable in working across a matrix organisation and leading or participating in multi skilled teams across the business in order to deliver the best outcome for Centrica.
- Clear understanding and absolute adherence to ethical principles, company values, code of conduct and policies.
- Education Regulatory expert with high quality strategic, technical, economics or legal qualifications and significant energy sector experience at a senior level
- Work Experience An excellent understanding of wholesale gas markets, energy trading, origination, LNG and the policy framework within which commercial companies, relevant industry bodies and network companies operate.
- An ability (with proven track record) to “horizon scan”: anticipating and keeping abreast of external developments that may influence the direction of wholesale gas and traded energy markets policy and / or create new business opportunities.
- Experience of effective engagement with senior internal stakeholders on business critical issues.
- Good understanding of the regulatory frameworks within which Centrica Group operates, and of the regulatory decision making processes.
- An ability (with proven track record) to develop innovative and powerful solutions to complex regulatory proposals. Ability to work flexibly, across a wide range of high profile and fast moving tactical and strategic issues.
- Strong stakeholder management skills.
- Strong leadership skills and a proven track record in influencing to deliver commercial value, including:
- Excellent verbal, presentation and reasoning skills
- Ability to build constructive relationships at all levels of an organisation
- Excellent team leading skills
- Excellent analytical and conceptual thinking skills
- Ability to manage conflict
Centrica Energy, part of Centrica plc, is a FTSE100 company operating in the UK, Europe, North America and Trinidad and Tobago. Delivering a balanced mix of gas and oil production, power generation and energy trading, we’re proud to be securing the UK’s energy needs. Our continuing success is driven by a high performance culture where the achievements of our people make the difference. An environmentally conscious company - Centrica Energy aims to have the lowest carbon-footprint power generation fleet in the UK. Our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button, To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email Andrew.Neil@centrica.com typing Head of Regulatory Affairs, EMT CEN30386 in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.