BGIS32036 Data Scientist / Java Developer
Here at British Gas Information Systems we are passionate about developing the next generation of technical experts. We are looking to recruit talented individuals to join our large and growing Data Analytics team here at our HQ in Staines. The team you will be joining uses the latest Big Data technologies to analyse data across the organisation to gain a deep understanding of its impact on the revenue and operation of the business. We are responsible for looking at the next generation of Data Science and how it reflects on the revenue of our organisation.
- Location: Staines (TW18), London
- Salary: Depending on experience
Using cutting edge Big Data technologies to gain an in-depth understanding of how the data we use to drive our business can be improved so that our business operations run smoothly and our revenue streams are protected. Within the first six months of joining the team you will be using mainly Java but also learning and using your hands on technical skills to develop Hadoop & Hive on a UNIX platform to explore the complexities of our data and make changes that yield real business improvements. Some aspects of the role includes:
- Look at all the Data Analytics within the key business areas and be able to translate the information into actionable analytics.
- Make sure that anything you help develop goes through the right amount of testing before going live
- Be part of a team! Don’t treat this as a 9-5 role as we want you to be part of the family and live and breathe our passion of all things IT and emerging technologies. You will be helping build a better experience and future not just for our customers but also your fellow team mates
- You will expected to be able to go out and introduce yourself to other teams and quickly build strong network of contacts within company and get them to help develop your passion and skills
- Manage, plan and prioritise tasks to achieve agreed deadlines and meet business requirements.
- Constantly push the boundaries of your knowledge and experience to become an expert developer
- Engage with multiple other development teams across the Centrica and British Gas business
We are looking for people who have experience within Java and are looking to expand their skills to include Big Data technologies. We are willing to look at both junior as well as more experienced developers who demonstrate a desire to learn and quickly become experts within data analytics.
- A passion for all aspects of IT and genuine, demonstrable computer programming skills
- Any knowledge or hands on development experience in Java, Hadoop or other Big Data technologies would be great
- A degree in Computer Science or IT related field
- Ability to learn from your mistakes
- Ability to learn and develop not just yourself but others around you
British Gas, part of the Centrica Group, supplies gas and electricity to UK residential and business customers, provides central heating and gas appliance installation and maintenance and low-carbon and energy efficient products and services.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email firstname.lastname@example.org typing BGIS32036 Data Scientist / Java Developer R9990208 in the subject title.
Agencies: British Gas operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.