DE1737 Sr Analyst Government & Regulatory Affairs
Direct Energy generates electricity and produces natural gas, as well as selling commodities and servicing the energy needs of homes and businesses in 46 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 Canadian provinces. We also help our customers save on their energy bills through energy efficiency. Located in over 50 locations, our team of 6,000+ employees serve over 6 million residential and commercial customer relationships.
Direct Energy is a subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE:CNA), one of the world's leading integrated energy companies with over 20 million customers and 34,000 employees worldwide. We are committed to being the most recommended energy and services provider and leading the transition to a low carbon society.
The Sr. Analyst, Government and Regulatory Affairs provides detailed analysis, assistance and support to the Senior Manager of Government and Regulatory Affairs for Alberta. Responsibilities will include the review of regulatory filings and AUC decisions in Alberta that are relevant to the development of DERS tariff filings and assess the impact on other DEML business in Alberta. Assist in the development of DEML’s position on regulatory filings submitted by distribution and other service providers with a view to ensure that DEML’s interests in Alberta are represented and protected in all natural gas and electricity related proceedings before the AUC. Will also assist with compliance management reporting and administration.
- University Degree
- Experience supporting and working on regulatory applications before the AUC
- Experience in or interest in energy policy
- Excellent communication and writing skills
The successful candidate will be accountable to:
1) Be a key player on the team responsible for developing the tariff filings required to be submitted by the company to the AUC in its role as the default supply provider of natural gas and electricity in the service territories of ATCO Electric and ATCO Gas.
- Understanding of key elements of regulatory application filed by other RRT providers and providing input on all elements of the application and approval processes including: application and evidence preparation, responding to information requests, reviewing intervener evidence, preparing witnesses, assisting legal counsel with hearing preparation, preparing or assisting in the preparation of argument.
- Working with Senior Manager, GRA to manage key intervener and AUC staff relationships in a proactive fashion
- Interact with external consultants and legal counsel required to support the successful completion of the applications
- Interact with other departments within DEML to fully understand the costs incurred by the company to provide gas and electricity default supply service
- Undertake analysis and review of DEML costs to ensure appropriate cost allocation is reflected between regulated and unregulated services
- Be a key member of the Regulatory Affairs team focused on ensuring the company recovers the full cost of providing these regulated services
2) Closely monitor applications to the AUC of distribution service providers that the company receives regulated services from and make recommendations on DEML participation in those proceedings where the interests of the company are at risk
3) Assist in execution of procedures and processes to ensure compliance by the company with all applicable regulatory requirements in the Western Region. This includes supporting the Manager, Compliance in relation to the administrative and filing requirements associated with the DEML’s compliance obligations.
4) Liaise with key contacts regarding the development of regulatory and government affairs initiatives in the Western Region that stem from issues raised in regulatory proceedings before the AUC and compliance issues before the MSA and AUC.
5) In conjunction with the Senior Manager, Regulatory Affairs, provide support to facilitate an understanding within the company of all applicable regulatory rules, codes, etc. in Western Canada and their impact on retail energy markets, both existing and prospective
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability