DE1484 Sr. Accountant
Direct Energy is a leading energy and energy-related services provider with nearly five million residential and commercial customers in North America. Direct Energy provides customers with choice and support in managing their energy costs through a portfolio of innovative products and services. A subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE: CNA), one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies, Direct Energy operates in 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 provinces in Canada. To learn more about Direct Energy, please visit www.directenergy.com.
- Four or more years accounting experience in a progressive organization.
- Big 4 auditing experience preferred.
- Knowledge of retail power and/or natural gas industry a plus.
- Working knowledge of SAP strongly preferred.
- High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office products, specifically Excel and PowerPoint along with strong PC skills.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel (macros, VBA, etc) a plus.
- Experience with risk and control documentation creation a plus.
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance is required, MBA in a similar discipline a plus.
- CPA strongly preferred.
- Thorough technical/professional knowledge and understanding of GAAP; some experience with IFRS a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize many tasks and responsibilities while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Ability to initiate action to accomplish an objective and goals; be proactive.
- Ability to analyze issues with limited direction and present recommendations to management and senior leadership.
The Senior Accountant has a role in maintaining the accounting records of DE Business’ North American Operations and in the consolidation of accounting and reporting activities to our headquarters in Woodbridge, NJ from multiple locations. Additionally, the position is accountable for the integrity, accuracy, and timeliness of the preparation of the Company’s accounting information in accordance with internal and external standards. The Senior Accountant assists in increasing the efficiency of processes and procedures supporting the financial close process including maintenance of the general ledgers, journal entry preparation, and account reconciliation activity. Moreover, this position is responsible for variance analysis and investigation of operational and financial data. Evaluating variances along with their impacts to planned activities are regular duties of this role. This role also works closely with multiple departments in various locations across North America to understand company operations and ensure financial information is presented accurately and timely, while also identifying opportunities for process enhancements.
- Taking a leading role in consolidating and explaining the monthly Direct Energy Business results to management
- Assist in Financial Statement preparation and analysis
- Analyze and investigate monthly fluctuations related to operating expenses, gross margin, cash flow, legal entity reporting, JV accounting and economic profit
- Assist with the monthly financial close procedures, including half year and year end
- Work with cross-functional team members to understand company operations to ensure financial information is presented accurately and timely
- Assist in the development and maintenance of accounting policies and documentation supporting the closing function including maintenance of the general ledger and preparation of reconciliations, journal entries and adjustments as necessary
- Assist with ad hoc research and analysis to support decision making processes
- Act as a liaison to both internal and external audit procedures and requests
- Assist in the Risk and Internal Controls framework testing and documentation effort
- Assist with technical research of accounting issues and coordinate findings with other Direct Energy teams.
- Coordinate with Direct Energy Corporate and Centrica on financial reporting and other matters.
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability