CEN30341 Data Analyst
Data Analyst -The Overview
We require a Data Analyst to work within the Data and Analytics team at Connected Home, exploring our smart home sensor data to deliver insights and help define future products and features.
- Location - London
- Salary - £30-£40k (depending on experience) plus bonus and excellent benefits
Data Analyst -The Role
The Role will involve:
- Retrieving, cleaning, and undertaking Exploratory Data Analysis on the large data sets produced by our network of IoT sensors and other devices.
- Conducting analysis in a rigorous and repeatable manner and communicating insights effectively to a range of audiences
- Working with product teams across Connected Home to find new ways that insights from sensor data can help us enrich and improve our products and services
- Finding new ways that insights from sensor data can be combined with data from other sources - such as Business Intelligence information - to deepen our knowledge of our customers.
- To advise software development teams on the implementation of analytical data products.
- To support the broader work of the Data Science team by sharing data, insights and techniques.
The challenges for success in this role are
- To be outward looking and pro-active in understanding the needs of product teams; be able to continually delight them with fresh and useful insights; extend the reputation of the Data & Analytics team within Connected Home and Centrica group.
- To understand our customers and find ways that Data Analysis can help deliver market-leading experiences for them -
- To continually reflect and improve on ways of working, to demonstrate better approaches to the process of analysis and sharing of insights. Always pushing the rest of the team to improve.
Data Analyst -The Person
You will be able to demonstrate a high level of proficiency in extracting, analysing and visualising large data sets. Our existing analysts work with an open source stack so experience in Python, R, Notebooks, Kibana, and the storage technologies Cassandra, ElasticSearch, Couchbase and Kafka would be an advantage.
However, more important is an ability to recognise the right approach to a task and to select the right tools for the job, and being able to pick up and use new tools quickly and effectively is essential. We deal primarily in data generated by sensors and humans so wrangling messy data will be bread and butter to you. Familiarity with manipulating business intelligence information will be an advantage.
You will be able to demonstrate that you have the necessary practical statistical knowledge to extract meaningful insights from data and are able to communicate these insights clearly and with conviction to audiences from different backgrounds and professional disciplines.
Strong visualisation skills will be an advantage in this aspect of the role. As well as being technically competent you will be curious about our domain, commercially aware and entrepreneurial in outlook. An important part of the role is in helping product teams to understand what insights can be extracted from the data we collect and how it can be combined with other data sources to deliver value to the business.
You will have the skills to move from Exploratory Data Analysis through to the technical oversight of the implementation of data-driven products by software developers.
You will also be a self-starter comfortable setting and testing your own hypotheses and working autonomously as part of a product-focussed team. You will be committed to learning new things and continual professional development.
You’ll naturally get excited about contributing ideas and giving practical demonstrations of the value of those ideas.
The right person will be comfortable working in agile teams and processes. Education requirements: At least degree with strong numerical / analytical component (or equivalent)
Data Analyst - The Company
I’m Carla (firstname.lastname@example.org) the Resourcing Partner for Connected home. I’m excited to learn about your background and how you can become part of our market leading team in Connected home.
This is a fantastic opportunity to be part of an innovative business that is leading the connected home market. Hive is a British Gas innovation that creates connected products designed to give people the control they want for their homes remotely. The first product Hive Active Heating launched in 2013 enabling people to control their heating and hot water from their mobile, tablet and laptop, followed by the next generation Hive thermostat in 2015.
This year Hive has launched a family of complementary connected home products including SmartPlugs, sensors and soon to be released lights
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button,
Agencies: British Gas operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.