DE1317 Senior Analyst, North American Power Commodity Accounting
Direct Energy generates electricity and produces natural gas, as well as selling commodities and servicing the energy needs of homes and businesses in 46 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 Canadian provinces. We also help our customers save on their energy bills through energy efficiency. Located in over 50 locations, our team of 6,000+ employees serve over 6 million residential and commercial customer relationships.
Responsible for recording and reporting Direct Energy North American power gross margin retail activity for up to 3 markets within Canada and the United States. This role is responsible for completing the necessary tasks and processes designed to facilitate a complete report, including analysis of the markets for which the analyst is responsible. In addition, any concerns regarding the control framework and managing processes within that framework to ensure accurate financial statements should be raised to the respective Manager of Power Commodity Accounting.
Responsible for taking the initiative to developing subject matter expertise in both Residential and Business markets, while providing insight into monthly gross margin results, developing trends in each market, and working with counterparts within DE to improve gross margin forecasting, planning, and analytics.
Tactically, the role will manage gross margin accounting for up to 3 markets, including related billings, volumetric data, and control processes. Accurate and insightful reporting of the North American power business activity is an expectation from the business
- Undergrad or Graduate degree with a major in finance or accounting.
- 7+ years accounting or data analytics experience
- MBA, CPA or CA designation is an asset, but not required
- Good knowledge of controls and balance sheet discipline
- Knowledge of wholesale and retail energy markets a strong plus
- Solid analytical and technical skill set
- Versatile to pick up new responsibilities and adaptive to ongoing changes
- Improve communication channels between the Power Commodity Accounting team and internal providers and users of power data
- Capitalize on opportunities to enhance the understanding of the power business with the DE Residential and DE Business finance and management teams
- Help to create and enhance analytic measurements to improve knowledge and tracking of retail power margin and business performance
- For assigned markets, ensure all power margin activity is properly controlled, recorded, and documented through, manage monthly accounting and close processes for Power Gross Margin (including margin accruals), reconcile appropriate balance sheet accounts and actualization of commodity activity
- Work with internal and external auditors and provide support to auditors as requested
- Evaluate and implement process and system changes where necessary, which include working with IT and other stakeholder groups
- Ad hoc projects as required by the Power Commodity Accounting Manager
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Additional Website Text