Consumer Performance Highlights 2019
In Consumer we are investing in digital capabilities to launch innovative new products and services.
Our digital transformation has included providing combined energy and services bundles – while improving data analytics and customer segmentation.
Customer satisfaction levels have risen significantly, and we have maintained a strong position in the markets we operate in.
In the UK, we are the largest energy supplier; the number one provider of contract energy services; and the largest installer of boilers and smart thermostats. We have leading brand awareness. In North America, we are among the top three competitive energy suppliers in Texas, the US North East and Canada. In Ireland, we are the largest gas supplier and the second largest energy supplier overall.
Growth in customer accounts
- Centrica Consumer customer accounts grew by 722,000 in 2019.
- UK total accounts increased by 451,000.
- North America Home accounts increased by 206,000.
- Total accounts were broadly stable in Ireland against a backdrop of intense competition.
Improved customer experience
- Customer experience improvements made through our digital platforms saw call volumes reduce in the UK, North America and Ireland.
- The British Gas Brand Net Promoter Score (NPS) improved to +12. NPS for Bord Gáis Energy, Direct Energy and Hive remained at relatively high levels.
- We fulfilled 98.2% of UK services appointments on the scheduled day, compared to 97.6% in 2018.
- We launched our first residential electric vehicle tariff in the UK.
- British Gas launched its new ‘Green Future’ tariff.
Refocusing Home Solutions
- Centrica Home Solutions revenue increased by 10% to £74m in 2019.
- We launched Hive thermostatic radiator valves, which allow customers to digitally manage the temperature in individual rooms in their homes. We have sold over 100,000 valves.
- Customer satisfaction rates remain high, with the Hive brand NPS at +39, and we continue to see a positive impact on our energy and services businesses.
Fundamentally rebasing UK Home
- We announced plans to fundamentally rebase our UK Home business in July 2019.
- In UK in-home servicing, we are working to be the lowest cost provider by 2022, in all our markets, while maintaining a high-quality customer experience.
- We are preparing ourselves to take advantage of new market opportunities. This has included upskilling 100 of our service engineers to install electric vehicle charging points.
Back to 2019 Annual Report