Making the energy market fairer for customers
We’re committed to improving the UK energy market so that it is fairer, more competitive and gives customers a better deal.
We agree with the Government that Standard Variable Tariffs are a problem for customer engagement because they have no end date. Which is why British Gas is withdrawing its standard variable tariff for new customers by 31st March 2018.
However we don't agree with introducing price controls into a competitive market which will reduce competition and choice, and therefore impact consumers.
Find out more about our proposals to improve the UK energy market and help customers below.
- We will unilaterally withdraw the Standard Variable Tariff (SVT) for new customers, aimed at increasing customer engagement
- We will provide new offers to respond to customers’ changing needs
- We will proactively offer customers a choice of fixed term tariffs at the end of their contract
- We will introduce a new fixed term default tariff
- We will engage customers on legacy Standard Variable Tariffs and offer them better deals
- We will introduce simple no-nonsense bills for all our customers
- We will drive further improvements in customer service and in our own efficiency
INFORMING THE DEBATE
Read our papers to help inform the energy market debate.